Wes / Hudson - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 09:51 AM

Wes / Hudson

Wes,

If your out there I have reliable reports of BIG BIG fish out infront of Croton Harmon Train Station. Some sort of Hatch is hapening ( worms? crabs? no one knows ) but the fish have been showing up in good numbers to feed. I visited last night to check it out. I could hear the fish under the bridge but I was on the Croton River Side and due to the stage of the tide the fish where on the outside. I saw numerous Striper Carcasses that the Meat hunters left for the gulls. Some of them where well into the 20lb mark. One of the locals had hit a few with the flyrod on Sunday and went for a "Sleigh"ride in his yak. Also reported getting broken off numerous times on his 10wt and 20lb tippet!! Would have loved to see the size of those fish.

Just an FYI if you have the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I'm going to check tides, might be able Thursday if they're still around. Could be some good fish coming through there for a while from what I've read about the spawn.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Kinda sounds like they are finally spawning??? I have heard from guy's up that way that when they spawn they are all on top and it looks as if they are surface feeding, could this be what they are doing??? I read somewhere recently that they had not even spawned yet but who knows I sure don't. What do you say Mike? You think they were doing the nasty or eatin'???

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 06-11-2003, 08:53 AM

Nasty

Heya Striper

Hey I'm heading your way on Sunday.. Middlegrounds. Hear anything? Worth a ride? Let me know. If your free and want to meet out let me know.

When the fish are low in the river such as where I live there is very little if any spawning activity. Stripers spawn in fresh water only and by me there is still a relatively high salt content in the water so they are definately not " bump'n and grind'n"

The past few years I have witnessed some truely Monumental Crab hatches that draw some very large fish out into Croton bay. It's my guess that they are crabs or a huge school of Alweif got washed down the Croton River from all the high water and spit out into the bay like confetti.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:41 AM

Hey Mike,
When we going?
Old 06-12-2003, 09:18 AM

Boar

Anytime good man.... Call Markie S. up and tell him that Steelhead Mike wants to drag his sleigh out for a ride. I promised I'd take him too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.