And it rained... - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 06:34 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

And it rained...

Despite more than an inch of rain over the past two days I ventured out Sunday in an attempt to do a little fishin'. I was hoping that I would be able to locate some fishable water that did not exhibit the characteristics of chocolate milk. So I loaded the old Fish Mobile and headed into the mountains(Ok, maybe we will just call them foot hills !) of Fredrick County, Maryland. After a little searching I was able to find some water(Owens Creek) that except for being way over the bank seemed to be relatively fishable. It had a little color to it but I sometimes think that this aids the angler in many circumstances.

I started throwing streamers at every pocket that I thought a trout might be hiding in. Despite my best efforts I was only able to move two trout in three hours despite using my favorite dark(black/olive)colored offerings.(Wooly Buggers, Strip Leeches,...etc) In desperation I switched over to a white wooly bugger and all I can say is WOW! I never changed tactics but my catch went from zero to fourteen in an hour and a half. Although none of the fish I caught were over fifteen inches it was one of the more interesting experiences I have had on a trout stream. I would have never thought that in those conditions that fly color would be so critical. I only fished for a few more hours and experienced continued success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 08:19 AM

Sounds good. What does a white buggre imitate? We fish a fly called a vanilla bugger and it works for some reason. I do not fish buggers that much but have found that color is absolutly critical on scuds. I carry 8 colors including 3 shades of orange. I'll fish 2 at a time changing size and color until the right fly is found.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:35 AM

Never underestimate the power of the white wolly bugger

Has saved many a trip for me over the years...
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 AM

I think that the white wooly bugger has greater visibility in turbid water. At least I can see it better.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:04 AM

No, it cannot be simply that the fish see a white fly better than a black/olive one. I think that a white bugger imitates the albino chub sucker, well known to be a trout's single favorite food. I will have to add that to my list of to be tied flies.

John, the Reef is less than 3 hours from Ft Collins.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:10 AM

H'mm and I'm due for a visit out there in the next month.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

As probably many of you do; I plan a week ahead which day I’m going fishing. I try not to have both of the weekend days clogged up. If I have a gig (musician talk for job) on Saturday then I don’t plan on going to church, sorry God, on Sunday. So, although today (Sunday) is a better day to go, I went yesterday. L

So my original plan was to go to Camp Lake (my plan this and coming years is to fish as many new place as I can. So far this season I’ve managed 3. But as I got closer and the rain harder and the radio crackled more and more with each seen and unseen lighting strike; I thought the idea of bobbing around a lake in a thunder storm with a lightning rod in my hand was not the best.

So down to the river. The last few times I’d been there were not good and despite the Manitoba Fly Fishers Association having an outing there no one has reported anything about there.

The water was good and high, like it should have been 2 months ago. I approached from upstream to see if there were any fish in the rapids. No! When I got to the first real run I was about to cast when two tourists group were standing right over where I was to cast. Okay I thought there are probably no fish here anyway so stay cool. I wait for them to leave and for any fish calm down.

First cast a heavy fish…spits the hook. Second cast a hit but no fly after. Re-tie…cast then on the swing boom solid hit. After a somewhat protracted battle a fat 20” bow brought to hand. Then I fished and fished up and down everything in the vest nadda. When I was on the big flat, after a couple of guys had pounded it pretty good with bass lures, some big fish were rising and splashing. I do not know what they were feeding on and it was intermittent. So I proceeded to throw every thing in my vest at them.

I should point out that like where you all were it was raining hard and I was NOT dressed for it. When it rains what ends up in the water….you’ll love this l….worms. So I tie on the oh so exotic brown bead head wooly bugger and first cast….boom and this one was bigger than the first you’ll have to take my word for it as it broke me off. ( I tie my own leaders and when I rebuilt that one stream side I cheated. Instead of building it up I just tied and extra long 5x to a 2x or 3x remainder and it broke at that connection. stooopid)

Needless to say there were no stockers in the river. What these fish that I and another guy there caught were is up for debate. Brood stock dumped in (they seemed very wary and stream wise) or holdovers from previous stockings (people say they become pike food if they move too far down stream!)
Rob

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Brad,

To be completely honest with you I do not really believe that a white wooly bugger represented anything specific in this particular circumstance other than a "chunk" of protein. Although we do have good populations of chubs in some of our lower gradient waters, this particular stream is relatively devoid of bait fish.

It is interesting that you mentioned scuds though...this particular mountain(high gradient) stream boasts a strong population of scuds which always strikes me as somewhat odd due to its relatively infertile water chemistry and high gradient. Most of the waters that I fish which contain these aquatic crustaceans are very slow moving and contain large quantities of submerged aquatic vegetation.(The spring creeks of Pennsylvania.)

I am a firm believer in showing the fish something different when things get tough; especially on hard fished waters. It does not always work but more times than not it has saved the day....Just ask Big Dave about our last trip to the Swift last year!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 02:53 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
white buggers look like drowned nightcrawlers
they turn white when they drown

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 06-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

That i did not know. I new after/during a rain worms of all varieties ended up in the water i did not know they went pale.....
That i have got to remember

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 07-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Recent Member

Location: Eagle River, Gore Creek, Green River, South Fork of the Snake
Fly Dry

I have had great success with white leaches and white buggers for steelhead in AK. I was told that a white fly imitates a fingerling white fish (sucker). I know of a secret fly that is sold by a well known guide in Washington state called a Cop Car. These flys are white and imitate a small white fish. On my last trip to AK it was, by far, our most productive fly. I had one beauty chrome steelie hit that Cop Car soooo hard that he swallowed the fly...I mean it was all the way down his throat...I have NEVER seen that since I started fly fishing. I cut the leader and released him and it was barbless.
<'(((((((((><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.