Croton East Branch 6/8 - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Flats Rat

Croton East Branch 6/8

I tried the upper section North of Brewster for the first time last night. Sporadic hatches of green caddis would get the fish going for a minute or two then all quiet. Most fishermen were plugging away with nymphs. I decided to load up with a brown/green sparkle caddis emerger and immediately had fish busting. I missed the first half dozen takes, landed two rainbows, a brown and a pumpkinseed.

No sign of the sulphurs yet, I only saw a couple of duns as it started to get dark.

I am really impressed with the Temple Fork rod I picked up last year (9ft 5wt). It does everything I ask it to do, even in confined spaces - from roll casts to sideways cast under trees six inches above the water.

There's so much water to explore on the Croton system and thats before checking out the reservoirs which are rumoured to hold some monstrous wild browns I'll definitely be walking those shores once water levels drop.

Last edited by Adrian; 06-09-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 02:44 PM
LT 20

Wow! Nice report!

Where is the Croton? Are we talking CT?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Flats Rat

Craig

The Croton Watershed is in the Putnam and Westchester counties of New York state - right across the border from CT.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:44 PM

AAAHHH, fond memories of East Branch. I grew up on that river.I started fishing it in the mid 70's before I was even a teen. Still a good river but NOTHING like it was.Fish used to average 15-16"(with brook trout),Now it's about 9-10".Keep us posted on the sulphers,That and the tricos are the only reliable hatches there.(besides constant midges).Maybe we can get together there.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.