best budget rod / reel combo - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Recent Member

best budget rod / reel combo

I am going to buy my brother in law a fly rod and reel since he did some work for me and won't take money. He said he was interested in learning to fly fish.

Was thinking about a 5 wt 9 foot rod. What rod/reel/line combo do you think would fit the bill for around $300?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This winter the Temple Fork guys came over to our casting conclave in the Reading Field House and donated a rod for the casting contest, which Dave Williams won. I cast a number of their rods was was amazed at the performance for the price. I would have to say that Temple Fork rods are the best place to start for the rod in that price range.

For reels, I like simplicity for trout - look at the Ross Colorado click pawl machined bar stock reel for about $100.

You will have plenty left over for a premium flyline, which unless he's going to practice on concrete he will appreciate for years to come.

Good luck and I hope he is bitten by the flyfishing bug like the rest of us!
Old 06-08-2003, 08:03 PM
any fish, any time

I think that a 9' 5wt is perfect for the Deschutes. A good rod is key - it can make or break it for a new angler. Rule of thumb is: get one that you would be happy to fish. Go cast 'em. It seems that most low end rods are IM6 graphite, and I find that IM6 is great up to 8'6", but towards 9' its got either (1) tip bounce or (2) a heavy and stiff design to counteract tip bounce. This ain't a knock on cheap rods - for example, I think the Winston IM6 9'5wt has too much tip bounce (though I like the 8'6" 5 wt). All materials have design limits.

To get a quality 9' 5wt I would visit eBay and pick up a $400-$600 stick for $200. Top flight rods depreciate in a crazy way, which probably reflects their overpriced nature to begin with. It is easy to find nice clean rods there for cheap - maybe there's a little scuff or something, or last year's discontinued Cadillac.

Regarding reels, I've found the Colorado to be a fussy little reel with an inadequate drag that freespools too easily. Ok, how do I REALLY feel about this?? This kind of thing is enough to drive any angler nuts. You won't find a stauncher (or stenchier!) advocate of spring pawl reels than me. And my salt reels are all disc drag Ross, so no knock against that great company, but I would step up to a Cimmaron or get a standard design click pawl reel that won't freespool (I like the traditional Orvis Battenkill 5/6 for < $100).

All that said, I think that Redington and Cortland make some of the best low end rods, and their stuff usually comes as packages if you want to make it fast and easy. I've not tried the Temple Forks but have consistently heard good things.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Junkyard Spey

Daveg, While you are looking check out the Echo 9' 5wt-4 piece rods @$120.00, a Tioga 6LA reel @ $120.00, and an Airflo 7000 line @ $49.95. I am somewhat biased but I think these items make one hell of a setup. The backing, a leader, and a line dressing pad should be thrown in for free. Take care, MJC
P.S. I also agree with Juro on the TFO rods. Another fine product at a reasonable price.

Last edited by MJC; 06-08-2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:00 PM

I "vote" with MJC on this choice of rod/line, etc.

If you want to go less expensive on the reel the Phlug Med's are bullit proof ... and dirty cheap. If you want to spend a few more bucks the Tio's are a darned good reel.
fae
Old 06-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Pullin' Thread

One of the best deals on the market right now is the rod, linel reel combos that are being sold by G.Loomis. The are available in a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt, a 9 ft 5 wt, a 9 ft 6 wt, and a 9 ft 8 wt. All of these come with a plastic rod case and cloth rod sack along with reel, line, and backing.

The rods are the original G.Loomis IM6 graphite designs the company got stated with back in the early 1980's. They are nice, crisp, casting and fishing tools. And the best thing is the price $185.00 complete! This is very hard to beat by putting different brand components together to make up a complete outfit that is a nice casting tool.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:52 AM
JD

Echo rods

Several of the guys mentioned Echo rods. These are a product of (Tim) Rajeff Sports. They are nice rods for the money. I think they are all 4 piece rods. And I am pretty sure they are offered as complete outfits as well. You might also look at Okuma reels.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Junkyard Spey

The Echo rods do not come as a kit. However any Echo dealer can match an Echo rod with an Echo LA reel and add an Airflo 3000 line resulting in a very nice package for $222.00. When a dealer sells a complete outfit I feel he should throw in the backing, a leader, and a line dressing pad, at least I will. Not everyone will agree with me but I fish with one of these outfits almost every day and in my opinion the are very good.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
JD

Echo rods

Rajeff sports, and the shops that handle their products, DO offer a complete package deal on an Echo 4 piece rod, large arbor composite reel, Airflow line and backing for a very attractive price. I just checked the web site this morning after posting my previous post. Also, I think some of our sponsers handle Echo rods, so I am not violating any rules by plugging them.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

I will soon be giving an Echo 9', 5wt a try for lake fishing with beadhead nymphs - I'm told I might like this faster stick.

I went to Tim Rajeff's web site for the Echo brands of rods and found no "outfits" listed for sale. Rods - yes. Reels - yes. Outfits - sorry, no, at least not that I could find.

A couple of weeks ago I visited GLoomis' web site and they did have numerous "outfits" for sale. Isn't there a "Rajeff" associated with GLoomis? Possibly this might lead to misunderstandings as to who's on first?

mmm
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
JD

I stand corrected

The Fishtec outfits listed on Rajeff's website were the ones I was refering to. I was under the , perhaps misguided, impression that the rods in these outfits were the Echo rods. Sorry for any confusion I may have created.

JD
Old 06-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Junkyard Spey

I believe Steve Rajeff is associated with Loomis.
If you look on the Loomis website under the outfit section you will see comments attributed to Tim Rajeff who was affilated with Loomis in the past. Tim Rajeff is the designer of Echo rods and the distributor for Echo rods and reels. Rajeff Sports does offer a complete fly fishing kit. It is called Fishtec. It is a 9'-5/6 rated rod and goes for $109.95. It is not composed of Echo components.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Another great reel is thet waterworks new $100 reel with their super-smooth zero maintenance conical drag system. Put together with any of these fine rods and a good line, you will have a fine outfit for under $200.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Recent Member

This is Dave G again:
I looked at flyfishusa.com and found a St. Croix Imperial with "English" LA reel and RIO line 9 ft 4 piece 5 wt for $250. I do have a St. Croix rod and it seems pretty good, not the rod I usually fish. How does the ECHO compare with the St. Croix Imperial?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

...and just maybe Echo is to single handers what CND is to doubles.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

mmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.