Do You Know Coleoptera? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Do You Know Coleoptera?

FROM THE DESK OF THE BUG DOCTOR / DEPARTMENT OF LEATHERY WINGS AND BODIES THAT CRUNCH

Did you know? That the order of Coleoptera, the largest single order of bugs in the whole world, a full 28,600 species in the Great United States alone, .....has a Trout Stream Beetle?
Yes my friends, the lowly Trout Stream Beetle, Family Amphizoidae
( amfi-zoy-di ) oval shaped, dull brown/black, is an Aquatic Beetle peculiar to the cold water mountain streams of the western U.S.
They hang out on stones and other debris in eddies that keep a consistant water level.
In fact, one species prefers the warm waters of streams in the great city of Seattle, WA.!
Not the best swimmers, the Trout Stream Beetle might be a good source of food for.......what's the fish I'm thinking of?.......... ah yes, Trout!
WARNING! These little buggers are Predaceous! Do Not leave other bugs or small children un-atended!
Note: This should not be mistaken with the Whirlygig Beetle!
End Transmission

The Bugdoctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 10:58 AM

Great description!

Wow! Now that was neat. All you wanted to know about Amphizoidae, but were afraid to ask! Outstanding.

Thanks for a great article. Any descriptions of effectife fly patterns?

BobK
Old 06-04-2003, 11:58 AM

Cool Whoa! The first thread on the board that sent me..

to Mr. Webster's book.

Very Cool.
fae
Old 06-04-2003, 01:28 PM

Thank you...

Good stuff, but what are the little bugs that we see everywhere on ponds and side channels that nothing eats. The long legged ones that scurry across the surface when approached. I have always thought that trout did not eat them because..... but now with a pond in my front yard and a population of bass and perch and even crappies I have yet to see one get eaten! There are dozens of birds that are all the time feeding on bugs of every kind and they don't even eat these "Water Spiders". Whats that all about? This is nothing new but the possibility of finding out whats up is, so whats up with those bugs?
Old 06-04-2003, 01:46 PM

Deerhaawk, I never knew there was a trout stream beatle. thanks for the education.

Moonlight, I'll go further than you. I've noticed that you only catch minnows where there are healthy populations of water spiders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.