Improper floating of fly? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 11:53 AM

Improper floating of fly?

I have on several occasions had problems with my dry fly floating on its head or side, rather than floating upright on the tail and hackle. What could be causing this and how can it be corrected? Is this a common problem among those fishing dry flies? Is it due to improper balance and/or proportions on the fly itself? Have I made some mistake in tying the fly? Could it also be due to poor casting technique or improperly tieing the fly to the tippet? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 12:22 PM

Check the proportions of the fly. I've had this happen if I used a hackle that was too big for the fly? We've probably discussed this topic before so a search on it may reveal the cause.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:29 PM

A few suggestions:

Make sure your knot has not travelled over to the side of the hook eye during casting.

Let the leader and tippet straighten out all the way in the air and float down to the water together...i.e. so the fly doesn't slap down on the surface or land in a pile of tippet (unless that's what you want).

Use parachute patterns - they almost always float properly, look a lot more natural than trad. dries and make a great emerger if you clip off the tail. Catskill-style dries are pretty to look at and good in fast water but I hardly use them anymore for the reason you suggest, not to mention twisted leaders, etc.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Here in the west it doesn't matter 99.9% of the time. Even on the spring creeks of montana it doesn't seem to matter. Some of my biggest trout have been taken on stone and caddis fly patterns where ir was laying on it's side or back. Maybe it matters and I only catch stupid fish but thats my experience. I wouldn't even worry about it..
Old 06-04-2003, 07:27 PM

Yes to what's been said, but I'd add two things. I often use oversized hackle for my hook, and then--like a lot of people--snip it off under the fly so it rides relatively low. Small hackle is expensive. Second, on big flies especially (a 10 Stimulator, for example) kick the wing of the fly up by bearing down on the thread as your tying it in. Seems counterintuitive, but a raised wing actually works as a kind of parachute on the fly's decent into the water, and lands it upright, even though it looks tippy. (I know b/c I tried a bunch of dead-on stonefly imitations, wing low and back over the body, and half inverted on me. May not matter to the fish, but it drove me nuts!).
Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

Uptrout,

Three things could be the cause of dry flies doing this:1) the hackle is too long; 2) the tail is too long (something that is often overlooked); or 3) the hackle is not spread out enough on the hook shank (fixed by making sure there are at least 3 turns behind the wing and an additional 2 turn in front of the wing as a minimum. By the way, the 3 turns behind and 2 infront of the wing provides a very nice Catskill style dry fly. Wulff type dries require more turns of hackle both behind and in front of the wing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.