Casting Video Choice? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Question Casting Video Choice?

Looking to get my father a casting video for father's day. Any suggestions on one? He's a beginner, but will be focusing on Saltwater exclusively. I'm afraid the Roberts video may be a little too advanced.

TIA...Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Middle Aged Member

I think the Roberts video would be hard to beat. Prior to buying it I thought it might be a bit beyond me. As it turns out, I think it's technically accessible for the beginner and a great tool for the more experienced caster to straighten out problems that crop up.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nick -

I'd love to offer a beginner's lesson for your dad if he'd take it. The more you teach, the more you learn they say. I've taught a fair number of people how to cast and some of them even like me still

You've really helped us out over the years. I haven't gone to a flytying gathering in years where people didn't have at least one of those kick-butt plastic cases! It would be nice to return a favor.

It's a three part lesson, each segment has a practice period between to ensure that there is not too much information overload. Knowing you were a college pitcher and seeing your casting ability, I would say that if you inherited your dad's athletic skills, it should be easy in two sessions. Trying to learn to cast in one day is ridiculous, but if the things discussed in a good first session are practiced and a follow-up puts it all together it can provide a solid basis - good enough to fish anyway. Specifically focused on SWFF if you wish.

Just say the word and I will be happy to do it.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Juro,
Thanks a bunch for that offer, once my dad finishes up the school year, I may take you up on that offer!

Nick
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 AM

For beginers, Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Fly Casting" is good. Good foundation and easy to understand. The 2nd in the series is good too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.