anyone heard of Wild Steelhead & Salmon magazine - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 11:38 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Question anyone heard of Wild Steelhead & Salmon magazine

I had seen them a few years ago, but seemed like the one day I decide to buy it later, it disappeared. Well, got about 8 issues of them (circa 97-98) and they're pretty fun to read. Found some pretty interesting things in there as well (like a $450.00 Abel cigar roller :hehe: ). What I liked the most about the magazine it wasn't printed so "clean", but the writers told it like it was. I know it was originally Wild Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon, and think it's now Fish & Fly (which I can't find either in any stores). So, is it still in print? I'd love to see if they still have virtually the same format. I loved the 1st page, a classic full dressed atlantic salmon fly. I really enjoyed the magazines I have. Looks like buying the old one's are a major mint at around $10-$25 each (I only paid about $0.80 each).

So, has anyone else seen these? Was wondering what your take was on them, or do you have info on them now? Looks like they were published out of Seattle, WA.

Last edited by Steelheader69; 06-02-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
It didn't make it because of circulation, and re-emerged as Fish & Fly. Still published and edited by Tom Pero, it does include salmon/steelhead, but all kinds of other fly fishing in order to have broader appeal. Yes, I miss the original version, too.
Bill
Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Chief of E.P.

You are right that it is now Fish & Fly. It is published out of an office in Ballard by Tom Pero. The ealier version was a good read but in my personal opinion, the latest is better reserved for backup when the Costco 48 roll pack runs out. If anyone wants any specifics, PM me.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:57 PM

New York......

Not the City, not even the State, but the article about Bob York was the magazines finest hour the worst IMHO was Petes Kiss and Tell on the Skagit.
But it was pretty with the full page full dressed fly each month. I saved the copy with the article about Bob but like just about everything else I can't seem to find it in amongst all the other treasures.

Sink Tip you sound like a real fan of TP.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

TP's Biggest Fan?

WS&S finest hour?

IMHO, it had to be Skykomish Sunrise's personal column. Who would have thought to find a redheaded barmaid, dress her up in waders and vest and then ghost-write her personals column to frustrated flyfishermen? Genius!!!!

Or maybe the Fly Girls pictorial?

Nah, it has to be the how-to on fishing with monofilament and slinkies in the Great Lakes rivers. :eyecrazy:

In all fairness, it did have some fabulous photography (you can credit a locally famous gal known to many as GFK or Girl From Kansas for much of it) and great articles in the first few editions.

As for a fan of TP?? FFing's own Larry Flynn? At least he can recognise talent. :hehe:
Old 06-02-2003, 06:08 PM
removed_by_request

The mag in its original format was A+, now its just another run of the mill fishing rag.

I managed to collect each issue except the one that dealt with Hugh . Still read them from time to time, great stories and how to's.

Its a sad thing that every thing changes, in this case it was for the worse.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

Another very good use to put it to is a camp fire starter. Why waste a perfectly good newspaper when Fish & Fly is available?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:22 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Wild Steelhead and (Atlantic, in its origonal formate)Salmon was a favorite of mine.

I didnt always enjoy the Great Lakes article nor Soveral's rants but there was always a great article or two in each issue as well as first class photography.

What Tom Pero was thinking, I dont know! Maybe it (Fish & Fly is just nothing more then a tax write-off for Pero...help him fund Soverel's and his trips to wherever.

I have almost every issue of WS&S except the couple that I do seem to want the most...the first issue and ofcourse the issue that profiles not only Mr. York but features an article on the Wenatchee...

Speaking of great steelie publications...one that is rarely brought up but did have its share of good articles and great photography was Amato's Steelhead Fly Fishing Journal, I am fortunate enough to own every issue of that now long gone publication.

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 06-04-2003 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:59 AM
removed_by_request

That is a big 10-4 on the photos in the Amato mags. Very nice made you feel like you were there.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Recent Member

Frank Amato is the best thing that ever happened to paper in the NW. I would guess half my fishing books are published by him, and typically superb photography throughout. "flies, The Best One Thousand" is a perfect example of an essential reference.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Quote:
Originally posted by Doktor T
"flies, The Best One Thousand" is a perfect example of an essential reference.
I would have to agree! :hehe:
Old 06-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

Doktor T,

What about Terry Helleckson's two volume set on fly patterns? He list over 3,000 flies between the two volumes. And his books were not published by Amato. And Helleckson inclused everyone of the flies that are found in "Flies, The Best 1,000". I would call Helleckson's book more essential a reference than "Flies, The Best 1,000".

Lest we forget, there are far better and more comprehensive pattern collection books available than those published by Amato.
For instance, J. Edson Leonard's book "Flies", which was first published way back B.C. (before computers) in the "Dark Ages" of the early 1960's is still one of the finest fly pattern references available. And one of the best instructional fly tying instructional books ever published is Helen Shaw's "Fly Tying", and it was first published in the nearly "pre-historic" late 1940's.

Yes, Amato has published some very useful fly tying and fly fishing books; however, most of the stuff published by Mr.'s Amato is not of the highest caliber and oftern lacks basic and historically necessary information.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Recent Member

Well, my offering was in response to recognition of the finer photography in the Amato Publications. There certainly are a lot of good publishers out there, but none come close to the numbers of fishing related quality publications put out by Frank Amato. Frankly, if you can't get by on the most productive 1000 flies, 3000 won't improve your results to any large degree at all. An essential reference will do for 90% of us at $30. A masters reference at a great deal more cost is for few.

:eyecrazy:
Old 06-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Pullin' Thread

Doktor T,

Nick Lyons Books has far more fly fishing and fly tying titles currently in publication than any other publisher, including Amato. And the books Nick Lyons books publishes are of much higher quality than Amatos as well. Stackpole Books has also published many titles on fly fishing and fly tying that are well worth having in a fly fishing or fly tying library, as well of historic importance.

J. Edson Leonard's "Flies" has more patterns in it than "Flies, The Best 1,000" and it has a price of around $35.00. My point is that Amato has published and still does publish some good books for fly fishing and fly tying; however, they are not the largest publisher of such titles, nor the most complete. And the quality of their publications varies tremendously form very good, to abysmal. Nick Lyons publications are all of high quality.

The more books you acquire for your own personal fly fishing and flytying library will have you see this. Until one has aquired a fly fishing and fly tying library of 25 or more books (and more than that is better), it is difficult to see the differences in what is offered from the various publishers.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Recent Member

Just did a search at Powells.com. Lyons=7 titles, Amato=530. Looks like very different leagues to me. Like I said before, Amato wins hands down when it comes to earning the cash of fishermen for quality references.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.