Croton Watershed 6/1 - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Flats Rat

Croton Watershed 6/1

With 25 - 30mph winds forecast for the LI Sound and the Housie probably running like a choc milkshake I headed out to the Croton to check out a few new spots yesterday. The Lower West branch was running high and colored. The East branch was in better shape, the water was running high but remarkably clear. I met up with an Angler coming off in downtown Brewster and he'd had some surface sport on Caddis. I managed to turn one fish over on a skated caddis and headed further up to check out a well known pool. I eventually found it - heavilly overgrown and not much visted in recent weeks by the looks of the undergrowth.

Very tough and tight casting but I managed to "will" my sedge immitation into position under the twigs with enough of a presentation to fool two feisty browns - small but big red spots and full of zip. I also connected with several more until I checked the fly and realized I had been fishing with a hookless fly - must have given at least 6 more fish a taste of elk hair and hackle

Green bodied sedge (about size 16) are about on most of the CT and Westchester streams right now. Fish seem to be keying on the hatching pupae.

We're also getting into sulphur season - should be seeing them evenings into dark around this time.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 03:41 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
where is the croton?

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Flats Rat

Sean

The Croton Watershed lies in the Putnam and Westchester counties of New York. More than a single river, the system comprises numerous tailwater streams and water supply reservoirs which supplyNew York City. Both a New York State licence and Acess Permit are required for most of the system.

Access permits are currently free. Application is by mail -you can download the forms at

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/rul...ecreation.html
Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
i forgot that i will need to get a NY license too

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.