5/31 Rip Trip Plan B Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2003, 07:18 PM

5/31 Rip Trip Plan B Report

To my knowledge everyone caught fish. The biggest was a 32" beauty caught by trip leader Chris. I'll let him fill in the details. It was good to see the Doc and meet the Rooster and his West Coast Crew. They sure know how to fish the area. Great to meet Chris and his brother. The highlight of our trip was to see the Orange Lady. JBasser is still in schock. It was worth the drive down to see her on the beach. As usual had a great time with a good bunch of guys. We'll have to do it again. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Pencil me in.....

Met Fishhawk at Larry's PX and made my usual feeble attempt at getting scrambled eggs. Getting closer though, this week I got over easy. Better than the sunnyside I had last week. Scrambled up to Keiths and Hawk got some early fish at the stairs .. Met the group and headed out to South Beach. Early action saw some bluefish. I believe all caught stripes during the day.. Chris broke the bank with a nice keeper. Good sunny day with little wind. Nice view on the oceanside at about 9 o'clock. Going to tie some fire orange flies for next time. That color seems to be very visible on the oceanside, especially with the cool east breeze

Went shopping with Doc and Hawk after the fishing. Left Doc pondering a new kayak purchase and then Hawk and I finished up with a sub and called it a day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Pencil me in.....

Seems that I made the report twice...must be in a state of shock :hehe:
Old 05-31-2003, 08:01 PM
President of CAC

Great report Guys... I had to spead this eaening at the High School senior prom..but will be down to head the crew next Saturday..if that pans out we will go to south beach also... any report from anyone fishing the ocean side of south beach????
Old 05-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Pencil me in.....

South Beach

Hawk, Doc, and I were the only ones from the Forum that tried the South Beach Oceanside. Worked it for about 1.5 hours. No action apparent except for one twinkie by another fisherman.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Wanna be striper bum

John,

I worked the ocean side of South Beach earlier in the week and there were cows in the wash on the incoming tide (closer to high) almost every day we fished the beach. We didn't necessarily hook or land the cows but we could see them!

Some monsters were hooked and some made it to the wash but then the beasts broke off.

Action wasn't hot and heavy but if you were patient then you were rewarded with Big Bessies and their fat cow friends.

Also, we were fishing ocean side areas that were a bit protected from the largest waves and areas with tidal rips that were a little closer to shore.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 06-04-2003, 05:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Yep, Good time had by all.

We all kind of drifted out across the beach each finding our own spots to fish, sharing our results as we crossed paths. The weather cooperated with light winds and a high overcast.

The 32" turned out to be a 36" after measuring to the reference point on my rod. My estimating skills always were weak. Drew and I went down to the light until dark Saturday evening and I caught a nice 32" then, measured on the beach this time. I'll have some pix when I get the film processed.

We also caught about a dozen schoolies to 20". I was pretty lame as my back tricked out on me Wednesday and wasn't able to do much moving up and down the beach. I just let the fish come to me instead of chasing around. It proved effective.

Juro, wanted to let you know I christened that new T&T and Lamson V4 on the 36"er. It took me about a 1/2 hour to get the timing down and found it to be a smooth and powerful combo. It persuaded that cow most emphatically. It poured all the way to Portsmouth Sunday. Did you get the break in the weather you were looking for? How'd It go?
:hehe:

Last edited by Chris; 06-04-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The weather turned to hell in a hand basket, and the winds howled nor'west while the rain whipped sideways. It was hard to stand, walk never mind fish. The sands were whipped up off the beach so fast my hands and face were sandblasted to the point of being painful if I didn't look straight down and keep my hands in pockets.

The water was whipped into a mish mash of dancing whitecaps and from the middle of all the chaos erupted an epic showing of energized stripers that had me laughing to myself with the backing out into the fray. I ended up with something in the order of three dozen fish, 5 legals 4 of which were 15 pounds or better! I dropped some really nice fish as well on top of that.

Pretty close to the worst conditions I've ever fished in, up there with the best in terms of action for the 2 1/2 hours I spent out in the weather. An unforgettable day despite the horrible weather!
Old 06-08-2003, 02:16 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Talking Back in CA now!

Hi Guys,
I am now getting back on-line. The CA-ID-CO Crew headed home on Friday. HS Graduation for #1 son went well. Great to put the handles with the faces. Had a great week. Worst weather I have had for 7 days, but some of the best fishing. The crew got many fish over 30". Biggest fish was a 30#er (43") caught in Pleasant Bay. We got about 6 or 8 over 35" during the week. Got 3 trips onto South beach, including the cancelled rip trip. Enjoyed meeting Chris, Craig, Fishawk. Got to visit, share a meal and fish with the Penguin again. Gave him a few casting lessons, so I am sure he is now set for the year! (Yeah...., right). Doogie, thanks for the beer...hee hee hee, (talk to Pete!). Sure wish the Commonwealth would remind us visitors that the Puritans don't sell beer on Sundays!!! Thank God for Penguin!!!!.
Fish did not seem very picky about the bugs. 2/0 -8 sized clousers, in gray/white, chartruse/white and olive/white. Along with the usual assortment of epoxy eels, herring patterns and juro sand eels all worked well. It was a great week to catch fish, just about everything seemed to hook fish, if you could belt it out into the wind. Harding, Stage, South Beach, Pleasant Bay, Nauset, Morris Island and surrounding beaches all fished well, with the proper tides.
I head back to the Cape on Weds for 7 days, Looking forward to seeing everyone again and being a part of the Fathers Day Big Brothers deal.
Thanks to all for the help.
Cheers,
DK
aka rooster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.