smallie for the fiance - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 AM

smallie for the fiance

So....
Sunday was a lazy day for me and my fiance. Lounging around Burlington, sifting through some stores chewed up most of a pretty nice day. Needless to say, by late afternoon I had the fishing itch prettty good. Let's say I resembled a heroin addict on the third day after going cold turkey.

I was in the process of quietly convincing the bride to be that I needed some fresh air, when I decided I'd try to get her to come along. This is dangerous territory as several selfish outings on my part have left a bad fishing taste in her mouth. Sometimes even the most pleasant pleading from a beautiful woman cannot drag me from a feeding fish. Anyway, I offered to bring one rod, and be her guide for the afternoon. Having nothing but bad TV else to do, she was game.

Went to my favorite smallmouth creek, a Champlain tributary. The sunlight was starting to get orange, and the wind was winding down for the day. There were clearly some casting kinks to work out. Twenty or thirty minutes into it, though, the loops tightened up. We saw a swirl on the far side of the river, in an eddy behind a rock, under a tree. Ten more casts, not far enough. One in the tree. Then one unfurled and dropped right behind the big stone. The wooly bugger paused, drifted, and disappeared in a flash of green. Lisa pulled back instinctively. That's my girl!

When it came to the bank, it was 18" easy. A thick slab of smallmouth. She liked it. She was smiling and exhilirated. So was I. Awesome.

A bit later, she got frustrated. Wind knots, snags, etc. But I think I'm turning her around. I hope I'm passing on the addiction, but I've got a lot of work to do.
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Fly chucker

That's one hell of a first fish. The number of smallies I've taken at least 18" long on a fly is not many.

You've done well. While she may not become as fanatical about fishing as you, at least after this experience she might understand a bit more where your passion comes from.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

A dream moment in every angling man's life! Congrats, to you and your lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2003, 02:07 PM

thanks guys.

I am wondering... Are there reliable ways to turn someone, and females in particular, on to fishing? I see that occasionally fishing becomes an adversarial topic for us. I am hoping to turn that around.
Ideally, I'll have a wife who's a fishing buddy. Of course, I am totally prepared for that not happening, but... Any advice, words of wisdom, success stories would sure help.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:31 PM

I got my sweet lady into trout fishing last fall. She is an outdoor lover to begin with but my tickets to success were taking lots of breaks, answering every question and forgetting about actually hooking up...and of course doing exactly what you did - letting her fish and providing instruction. Sunny days and getting a bite once in a while went a long way.

Now she want's to go to Cabo with me in the fall for Dorado.

I think I can work with that
Old 05-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Fly chucker

I'm very fortunate to have married a woman who understands and even encourages my love for flyfishing. She had no idea what it involved or how immersed I was, but I let her know when we started dating that it was my one true vice. God love her, she gets me and even has started to share in some of the fun.

As I said before, having someone who understands where the passion comes from goes a long way towards niching some fishing time, even if it's alone. And like someone once said here a while ago (I think it was Roop), make hay while the sun shines.

So how do you get to the point where the significant other understands your hobby? The answer is really pretty simple...try to take an interest in her hobbies and don't be so selfish that you monopolize the time you share with only your interests. I'm not suggesting that anyone here is doing this, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

And the rest just might be luck and fate.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Sponsor

Yea I need to get my wife out there. I seem to be fishing more and more as the years go on, and if she wants to spend some time with her husband she better get herself a fly rod. Or I guess I could take up shopping
Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 PM
"chicks dig scars"

lucky man

Mark,

i myself am also a lucky man. My gal has an almost indescribable affinity for the great outdoors. Her dream job is to be a marine biologist. We will be hiking around the streams or wading and she will turn and say "what's this?" and be holding a four inch hellgramite!!! I love that!! And all guys will tell you that thier gal is pretty, but mine is gorgeous!!!!! Has her own waders, ties her own flies, baits her own hooks, and fillets the fish! i really got lucky!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.