South Beach 5-25, 5-26 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

South Beach 5-25, 5-26

Very little fishing, but not too shabby on the catching. Hooked up with good friends, had a fantastic time with the extended family barbeque binge.

Hooked up with Jeff B and Sean McD to run around SB and the tub for a couple hours in the AM on Sunday. Ended up picking up a few schoolies and losing a keeper in comedic fashion yesterday as time was running out, around 9:20a. The surf tangled my line around both feet and the fish's runs got the running line around the reel handle, I overcame the line around the feet but the reel handle was a bit too much when the fish took off. Good early season reminder to aim retrieved line into the basket when stripping a fish in even if he is very close to getting on the reel.

The three of us scouted Herring river on the way back and saw nothing, pretty dead at that time. I spoke with locals who got into big blues at Hardings while things were quiet at Herring. Also reports of good action at Bass River seemed to be common although I never investigated first hand.

Chatted with John Molander at the parking lot as I arrived, not too bad of a morning considering the weather reports. I did much better this morning fishing, the shorts were bigger and fatter and the legal was landed despite some hard runs. It measured from the end of the butt up to the first stripping guide, haven't measured what that is yet but don't really care as it was a beautiful fish and really made my morning. Ran into Mike and Papa Doogue, great to see the Top Doogue up and at' em again.

Got back up to the parking lot about 9:15 and got back to family happenin's for what turned out to be a very nice Memorial Day weekend despite crappy weather.

Hope you guys had a good weekend as well,
Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Middle Aged Member

Weekend Report!

Numourus truckloads of thirty years of accumulated stuff hauled out of the cellar and nooks and crannies around the house. Delivered to a dumpster parked at my in-laws. Much fun and a great weekend. I'm thinking of forgoing the Cape and doing it again next weekend.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:20 PM

Give you and others credit for just being out there in this weather! Thinking of giving it a try this wed/thurs pending weather. Thanks for sharing your "entanglement" :-) experience, at least you had him for awhile....last May (4 th wk), I was on the flats of the tub, saw a school of about a dozen keepers about 40 ft away...forgot that there was a heavy wind to my right and back.....promptly impaled my backpack :-) Needless to say...I never saw them again for the rest of the day. The question is......why doesn't a problem occur with a schoolie?
By the way, I think we have the same rod (Sage 9 1/2 ft), if so...your fish was 33 1/2 ".
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.