Lake Trout tactics and flies - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Question Lake Trout tactics and flies

Well since i got such good response about walleyes, somthing i know a little about, i thought i'd ask about somthing i know nadda about
A freind of mine is putting me on to a great spot for ice out lakers!
He says they will be in 8 to 10' of water. Anyone with experience in this area.
Another freind says he gets lakers when early season fishing pike in the back bays hitting the wire leader laden pike flys so i can start there!
Any other tips would be great!!

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2003, 09:26 PM

Ice-out lakers can be great fun. Try a 7Wt type 2 for shallow water, say 6-10 feet deep or a type 4 for water 10-20 feet deep. Leaders should be clear mono 6 or 8 Lb. test rather than a tapered one, saves money and works better, usually 4 to 6 feet long. Fly selection I like is the Chartreuse & purple clouser style fly with mini lead eyes. Good alternates are the old classic streamers like the Gray Ghost, Little Rainbow, Mickey Fin, Black Nose Dace etc. The key is to have a long slim fly, imitating whitefish fry or similar Dace like minnows, I prefer hook size 2 & 4 with 4X long shank and stout wire.
You can also get lakers later in the year but you need a faster sinking line with a heavier fly. I like a WB type fly with clouser eyes to add weight, tied with purple sparkle crystal chenille. Hook size here is 4 & 6, mostly 6 with long shank & stout wire.
Keep us posted as to your results.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:01 PM

Robert,

With my very limitied experience all I can tell you is what worked for me Sunday. I was using my 9 weight and trolling a gray ghost attached to about 8' of 10# fluro carbon. My line was a Cortland QD 425 which usually sinks like stone but the 2-2.5 MPH troll kept it up in water column. The fly I was using is a great imitation of the smelt that the fish were feeding on. Hope this helps.

tight lines.

OOPs, almost forgot the flies were tied with tandem hooks both singles.

Last edited by ssully; 04-29-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Post Got skunked on the Lakers but scored with the Bass

Well I took the advice I was using my 8wt and tried everything for those Lakers. My host slow "gang" trolled while I cast to these fish. Now he only got 2 but I got none. Although I'm way north by most accounts it may still have been a little late for shallow water Lake Trout.
On a side note I really impressed my bait/lure host on his Bass honey hole. After releasing another big smallmouth he says about my fly fishing "that looks like a very effective way to catch fish" Take that Zebco!!!:hehe:

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 05-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Fluff

Sometimes a green bodied fly like a Nine-Three imitates bait more to their liking. Keep playing with and altering smelt based color combinations, whether streamer style feathers or clouser style deeper presentations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.