Fish Ladder - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 07:16 AM
LT 20

Fish Ladder

I was talken to a friend of mine concerning the fish ladder on the Quinny. He told me that all it would take is to add some boards to create pools on each step of the ladder, so there would not be so much current running through the ladder. This would allow the fish to jump over the board and then rest in the pool getting ready for the next jump. If this is true, it dosen't seem like that big of a deal to add some boards and clean up in front of the ladder. I am sure there are alot of people that would volunteer to get this done and I am one of them. It would be nice to see the salmon being able to spawn up in the Quinny again.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or knoweldge on fish ladders that they can share? Who could be contacted to find out about trying to form a group to work on this project. I have always been hearing things about the fish ladder, but nothing ever seems to be done.

Last edited by craig; 05-25-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Craig

Thats sounds like a great project idea for the local TU to pick up and run with. They run many habitat restoration projects and have the organizational know-how both locally and nationaly.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Craig, I believe that TU is already working it. See http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...threadid=10605
It will be a great addition to the area when It gets done.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:18 AM

Hello and thanks for your interest in the Quinnie fish ladder project. This is my first post to this board, so bear with me - hopefully this will come out looking as I intend - although I've been lurking for some time.

I'm with the Worcester chapter of TU and we are involved in the fish ladder effort along with Mass F&W, the US F&W Service, the MDC and MWRA. At the same time, we are just now getting our legs as a chapter after several years of inactivity.

It was determined some time ago that the existing ladder could be repaired but would not be able to incorporate the latest in fish passage thinking and technology. A new design for a fish passage located on the opposite side of the river from the current ladder has gone through a preliminary design phase and is now out for engineering bid. Recognizing our efforts, we were extremely pleased that in this year of very tight money, TU national has provided our chapter with an Embrace-A-Stream grant for money to be used in the permitting process which appears to be a somewhat complicated process. As you can imagine, things are never as simple as you'd like them to be and there are many considerations, such as historical, aesthetic, etc., etc., going into the design and building of a new ladder.

If you'd like more information or would like to get involved in the effort, feel free to contact me via email and I will put you in touch with our conservation chairman who is heading up the effort for us.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Welcome Drake, I look forward to hearing more from you. I sent you a PM about getting more info on this topic.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 05-28-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:57 AM

John, thanks for the welcome and I will get you the information.

I should have also mentioned that our last chapter meeting of the current year will be held on June 12 on the Quinnie (we meet on the second Thursday of the month Sept-June). I'll be at the Oakdale dam (power station parking lot) at 4:00 PM. We'll break for a BYOD (bring your own dinner) and discuss chapter business and then get back to some serious fishing.

Anyone interested in the project or joining the chapter is more than welcome. It will be a great opportunity to view the area up-close-and-personal and meet some of the folks in the chapter.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:55 PM
LT 20

Welcome Drake!

Wow, good news, thanks for the up date. Hope I can make it on the 12th, I am marking my calender as I type. Mostly likely I will see you there. Will you be bringing any drawings on what the proposed new ladder will look like?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:36 AM

Hi Craig,

There are some real basic schematics of the proposed ladder that I will be sure we have on the 12th. As far as anything like an artist's rendition of the final design, that is still a way off as I'm sure the engineering firm that gets the contract will have something to say about it. Also, we then get into all of the aesthetic considerations which aren't totally worked out at this time. Hope to see you on the 12th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.