looking for info on Southern Oregon spots - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to nbettger
looking for info on Southern Oregon spots

I have just started fly fishing this year, but I am going to be spending the whole summer in the mountains between Klamath Falls and Lakeview, OR. I really don't have a clue about the fishing in that area, but I will be able to do a lot of it and i was hoping for some info on the area (good spots, good patterns, the fish, anything). If you have any info please send me an email. Much appreciated.
Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2003, 05:20 PM

Nate, I thought i'd responded to this; apparently not.

Two board members who know this area very well are Bob Meiser (Meiser Rods a forum sponc.) and ta-da! Nate Bailey. Both here in Medford and have fished this area alot.

If you haven't done so, PM them for info
fae
Old 05-27-2003, 08:25 PM

I'm not too familiar with that area as I live in Portland, but I know that Klamath Lake, the Wood River, and Williamson River are all primo trout destinations for very large trout. For steelhead try the Rogue ot the Chetco (not sure how the fire last summer has affected it). On your weekends you could also take trips to the Noth Umpqua or the tons of lakes & rivers near Bend.

I would also recommend putting up a post on www.westfly.com Just go to the Oregon forums and put up a post. You should get some good tips there.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 AM

Nate, just as a short update...

The Rogue has large fish runs probably 9 out of 12 months of the year. 11 months if your willing to drive to the Goldbeach area.

The Chetco is a winter steelhead river, flanked by salmon runs on either side. So it's a pick your time in the fall through spring gig. The North Ump. is a river you've got to fish ... if you like (below the fly only waters) folks standing shoulder to shoulder ....

"We" restrict such activities to the spring kings and the top end of the river only for a couple of months in late spring-early summer. No kidding; most of the year your rather surprised to see 5 or 6 other guys/gals during the day. Ít's a population thing ... which is (probably?) why our fish runs stay as large as they are? No one's fu.. ing with the river from top to bottom, and minimal population pressure ... again from top to bottom.

Glad I left Seattle and Northern California for the un-populated Southern Oregon. Probably screwing up a good thing here ..?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.