Three speyrodders, one day - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Three speyrodders, one day

I saw three guys fishing spey rods yesterday. And none of them were me! Pretty neat - this was on South Beach.

They were in fact spey rods, not two-handed overhead casting rods. I could tell by the action of the rods from 50 yards (they are that different).

I have a prototype striper two-hander coming out very soon; after all necessary iterations of design refinement I hope to do a second phase field trial with folks from the Forum who are interested. They would have been here already but production on components designated for this rod have been delayed.

I'll poll interest in field trials when these arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Flats Rat

Any chance you'll have one to try out the week of June 16th?
Old 05-23-2003, 10:34 AM

I hope so! The blanks are ready. Nobuo has offered to use alternative hardware just to get the rod into my hands for testing, but I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about the quality of the components targeted for this true ocean / striper brawling rod so I've opted to wait. If things get delayed too much longer I will go for what is available with that caveat. Ideally I'll get them for field trial before the outer beach migration subsides. I hooked a brute in a fast moving pod yesterday, wished I didn't have to stumble into the wash to reach them. Lost the fish as well.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Hey Juro, have you ever spey fished in front of the lighthouse? Looks like it would be perfect for it on outgoing tide?

Were the guys you saw spey or overhead casting?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:36 PM

Yes, I have spey/combo cast there - but with a euro Sage 12'6" 9wt. It was pretty effective with the caveat that the fish station there in very strong current and to catch them requires a full sinking head line like a Rio Deep Sea 300-400+ grain or QD 300-400+ grain. By the time the line swings 'round to the dangle it's buried in the sand bottom. In order to snake roll / double spey / snap-T reverse or left hand spey that anchor weight you have to strip it to the 24 foot length and by that time you really haven't gained much over a single false cast shot with a single hander except for the ease of delivery. I have been working on a Ripspey line and got a prototype line from Marlow Bumpus at the Sandy Clave that just might be the ticket! I am anxious to put this line to the test when the new rod comes. The tapers are based on the Skagit lines designed by Ed Ward and Marlow.

In summary, although I was using spey casts to start the cast I would overhand the second to reach it's full potential at the lighthouse. The sinking lines needed to catch fish do not accomodate effective spey casting, some innovation is needed there to adapt to our circumstances.

The guys I saw were overhand casting, one was even switching to one-handing the spey rod to get a double haul in!!! He'll be in the hot tub for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.