sacrifices to the river gods question - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 07:33 PM

sacrifices to the river gods question

So after suffering through a very very rough spring. I have come to the conclusion that I haven't paid enough homage to the river god's. So here is what I was thinking next time on the river:

1 can of beer and a good slug of yukon jack from my flask.

So what does everyone else think or do to keep the river God's happy.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2003, 08:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
I always sacrifice a few flies
I have always found that the fishing gets better after breaking a rod too, especially if its early in the morning.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:48 PM

Good thinking.....

The beer and Yukon Jack are a good tribute to the river gods. I can't think of a better way to start off - Just make sure you don't eat anything first. As my grandfather used to say, "Never eat on an empty stomach!"

BobK
Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 PM

if this persists .....

Perhaps "Celestial Virgins? " Been so long since I've known one I don't even rember how to spell it .... sigh.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:32 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Talking Always make an offering

I always dump a fly or two in at beginning of season (usually not having my aim down, so hit a tree on other bank now or again). Always good luck to do that. LOL.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Chief of E.P.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff,

One "can of beer and a good slug of Yukon Jack". All that is missing here is the type of beer. If you are thinking Miller or Bud Light then I guarantee this combination will work for you and you will soon be catching fish --- Bass but they will be fish.

If you are serious about getting the steelhead monkey off you back, might I suggest a dram of good single malt, a splash of a fine cognac or even a nice red such as a Chianti Classico or a Syrah.

As is the case with flies, steelhead deserve the best

st
Old 05-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

Paganists, all!

mmm
Old 05-23-2003, 11:20 AM
JD

Appeasing the River Gods

This is the way I was told by an old Steelheader.

One fly per fish. If the fish is wild. the fly is donated to the river. And the fish is released unharmed. If the fish is a hatchery fish, the fly is crimped to it's dorsel fin and the fish is released. This is proof to the next guy that catches this fish, that a fly guy caught it first and put it back so that he might catch it. When you leave the river for the day, whatever fly you have on, is donated to the river.

JD
Old 05-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Cool

Never met a good NW steelhead fisherman/woman who was not a Paganist, it just has to be that way so virgins are more than ok and even rarer than Sauk winter wild steel.

Jeff, don't know how old you are but the Yukon Jack is fitting enough if you are under the age of 28 to 30. In 1978 I remember gravity took down a half a bottle of that stuff between 0600 and 0700 on an empty stomach somewhere on the Madison River. The only sacrifice was me, I waded out into the river looked down to pull line out of the reel to make first cast of morning and noticed the river was moving down stream as it should have. Only problem damn river got me dizzy and I just fell forward and bounced on a perfect dead drift down river. Nasty stuff there Jeff, it will make you old early, I will take the liberty to say it's time for you to upgrade your sacrificing materials. And if you can't yet afford single malt, Cognac or Syrah as Sinktip recomended than ask him to donate the first bottle or two for your cause.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Chief of E.P.

Since I owe Jeff dearly for saving me from a good arse kicking, it would be my pleasure. :hehe:
Old 05-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

hmmm...

Primitive ritualisms = fish on!

hmmm...

mmm - the neo-paganist
Old 05-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Chief of E.P.

Science not theology

My dear MMM,

As an educated man, I would expect you to realize that there is a scientific basis behind what you so flippantly refer to as primitive ritualisms. As any reader of Scientific Fisher or the Journal of the Montana Institute of Technology knows, these sacrifices are all chemical based.

For instance, the residual peat in a fine single malt scotch mimics the dacayed carbon 14 found in healthy riparian zone effluence. As I am sure you know, this DC14 is used by invertibrates (and salmonberry plants) as a growth hormone. In layman's terms, scotch makes steelhead think there is a big bug in the neighborhood thus igniting the predatory instinct and resulting in aggressive grabs.

Likewise, the tannins present in a fine red wine when picked up by an anadroumous olfactory sensor, and we all know how sophisticated those are, mimics the effects of a sulphite rush. In humans this makes your ears hot and tingley. Well I'm sure I don't have to tell you that a fish with tingley ears is a pissed off fish indeed. Thus, once again the offering yields more frequent and violent strikes.

Of course then there is the negative impact of the dioxins present in plastic flyboxes but I digress.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:51 PM

Wink

Sinktip, you being an educated man with good sound explanations for what our Pacific Northwest Steelheaders do and drink as part of steelhead fishing sacrifice. How can you explain in a scientific way why our Mid Western brothers and sisters use such items as Shmidts or Animal beer and have been known to tip 7 & 7's often before the day of fishing as a sacrifice. They seem to have even a better sucsess rate at catching than we do out in the NW. Surely there must be a scientific reason for this. Could a less expensive sacrifice be more benificial?

Maybe we should start a new section called "JUST ASK SINKTIP".

PS Someday maybe you could explain the science about magic mushrooms also. You know we have tons of them growing in our NW pastures along the river when the Summer runs are here. I know many here on PNW steelhead section are getting to that age where thier interests are parting from middle age make money to a more spiritual journey through steelhead fly fishing.

mmmmmmmmm, Paganist steellhead fishermen of the NW rejoice June is almost here. Steven, was that you out practicing the perfect Spey behind your farm yesterday?

To all a good weekend!
OC
Old 05-23-2003, 05:06 PM

OC I have just turned 30 and I will always love Yukon. It is my drink of choice. I only drink the single malts when I am with Sinktip and Kush and enjoy it but just haven't developed the taste for it yet that will make me swap out the contents of my flask.

But you give me a good bottle of Syrah, Merlot, or Cab and I am in heaven. Learned that one years and years ago on the banks of the North Umpqua with by dad and friends. Oh how I love that stuff.

As for Beer as I get older I keep down grading but and your eally beat a good Guiness?

JJ
Old 05-23-2003, 05:33 PM

Jeff,

Want you to know that Yukon Jack was and still maybe the official Fall drink on the Madison River in September and October. At Barns hole #2 just inside the gate from West Yellowstone a table is setup each day with all types of fluid enjoyment on it, food also. There are usually 3 or 4 bottles of your YJ on that table and in the past those bottles were empty by 11 AM. Now I want you to know that there were always 5 or more folks fishing that run every morning and any guest that might wander down was welcome to partake in gravity flow if they liked. But in 1978 the elder and wealthy statesman Charles Merrill stood naked in the middle of the run with a bottle of your favorite and declared Yukon Jack the offical Madison River drink. So drink on if needed and enjoy. But remember that stuff makes you old real fast.
I'll buy you a shot at the next WSC meeting we attend, unforunately I won't partake as I've turned into the Baby Budda over the last couple of years and our buddy "Ask Sinktip" just informed me by phone that stuff you drink turns into big time sugar when consumed. See you on the riva, summer runs are in.

OC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.