A humbling experience . . . - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 08:37 AM
_

Red face A humbling experience . . .

I was at the river the other day and saw fish rising everywhere. They were mostly rock bass and sunfish, maybe a few crappie and other species mixed in. They were eating some sort of fly and would not hit anything I threw at them. Rock bass and sunnies will generally hit anything you put in front of them, but these fish were completely ignoring my offerings. I've never seen them being so selective. How embarrassing!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Fly chucker

How deep was the water that the fish were rising in?
Old 05-26-2003, 12:27 PM
_

They were rising all over in water from 6 inches to about 4ft deep. There was one current seam that held a large concentration of fish. It was at the edge of the deep spot right near where I was fishing, and I could stand there and watch the fish picking the flies off the surface. I did catch a few fish in other parts of the river where the hatch wasn't as heavy.

Q
Old 05-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Fly chucker

Interesting...I only ask because I wondered if there was any spawning activity in with the feeding. Sometimes these species will show short binges of feeding followed by prolonged abstinence (from food that is ).
Old 05-27-2003, 09:01 AM

Curious experience. Presentation problems maybe?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:20 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by John Desjardins
Curious experience. Presentation problems maybe?
Definitely! I didn't have any dry flies that were the right size and color, and I'm sure I wasn't getting a natural drift or action. Usually that doesn't really matter with rock bass and sunfish. I was just surprised that they were so fussy since I've never had that happen before.

Q
Old 05-30-2003, 01:27 AM
"chicks dig scars"

Same thing happened to me

Q,

i have seen this situation year after year on one of my favortie streams....and from my experience, i must concur with Mark....panfish, bluegill and rockies in particular, will spawn in the smaller streams before anythign else does, ( at least here in KY). the spawn beds become frenzied with indiscriminate predation just befroe the actual spawn. Cold fronts will shut them down like a switch being thrown, but as soon as the weather breaks, they are at it again, then nothing...nothing for about a week, the feeding starts again..a friend of mine who is a state biologist said that the binges the fish go on are usually short lived and are to help the fish continue the spawn process or to recupe from a mid spawn that was adversely affected by major weather patterns, flooding, or other envrionmental impacts..he says theses changes may be so sublte that we don't notice, but the fish do...so the logic he offers is that the fish were refueling for something and that they had honed in on a readily supply of food and become tunnelled vision and only feed on what is abundant to quickly fuel up and get back to business of procreating...just an idea, hell, maybe they were just picky that day!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.