Atlantic salmon fry stocking - MA needs volunteers - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2000, 01:42 PM

Atlantic salmon fry stocking - MA needs volunteers

Board,

The state has sent around a few flyers looking for volunteers to help them stock Atlantic salmon fry into suitable rearing waters this upcoming spring. I have done this in Vermont and think it is a pretty nice way to get outside, see some new streams and participate in a worthwhile event. I have set up the announcement in a web page so you can see the dates and contact information. Click <!--http--><a href="http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~pmacneil/stock2.htm" target="_blank">here</a><!--url--> to see the info. I am not affiliated with them, but thought I'd pass it along.

If you do go - my suggestion is to bring another change of clothes - as you may get sweaty and/or it may be snotty weather, and it is nice to change so you don't get uncomfortable. BTW this is where a pair of breathables would shine.

Also, this is a good opportunity to introduce an older child or teenager to the ideas we espouse all the time (i.e., conservation, restoration and in general the need to keep environments protected). As a bonus - it is a great way to check out prospective trout destinations - you may want to stash a 3wt in the vehicle for some fishing later that day. You could tie up some fry patterns and go to a few of the locations where browns are at - you'd probably clean up .

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2000, 04:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Atlantic salmon fry stocking - MA needs volunteers

I'm all over it! If others want to car pool, let me know.

I am more likely to make weekend dates so I would like to sign up for April 29 / 30.

Thanks Pete - it'll be good to do something for a great cause.

Juro
Old 03-22-2000, 05:49 PM

RE:Atlantic salmon fry stocking - MA needs volunteers

Thanks Pete I was wondering about that. I went out on the Millers River with Caleb Slater and the crew last year. It was alot of fun, although the water was so low we wound up dragging the canoes most of the way. We split the bottom of our canoe on the rocks took a good soaking but that shouldn't be a problem this year with the high water. I had never been up in that area before it's really nice and was a good day helping a worthy cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.