Refuge and South Beach, 5/18 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Middle Aged Member

Refuge and South Beach, 5/18

Picked up a schoolie around the bend at the refuge on the third cast then nothing for an hour. Headed back to the Rip Ryder pickup and ran into Nick. We walked down the surfside, surf was tough. Nick picked up and albino schoolie. Made our way over to the other side and foloowed the trail to birds working down by the J bouy. Terns were working over small bait in shallow water - no signs of fish. We hung out in the area and Nick jumped on a swirl and picked up a nice small keeper. I left Nick working a flat south of the J bouy and made my way back. Stopped at fishy looking water at the L bouy and hooked up with a nice mid 30's fish that broke off as I beached him. Brittle tippet from last year...didn't expect anything but schoolies. Caught another twinkie at the shuttle stop. A slow morning but my sense was that the flood was going to be pretty good. I left at noon figuring I'd be kicking myself... looking forward to hear how Nick made out.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Well, after I left Fred, headed down south along the channel on the edge of the flat. Slow going. Took a while to see anything.

All of a sudden, I look over my shoulder and see a school of six or so heading to the flooding current. First fish I've seen this year on the flats....so the first attempt at casting to them was botched. I get another shot, and they refuse. Still haven't spooked so I double time it through the water to get ahead again. Repeat again. Finally get one to take on the third try...ended up taping out at 33" (see below). Felt good given the new Ross a little workout. Smooth as silk.

This school started it all off. For the next half an hour or so, school after school came by, I ended up picking up 2 or 3 more before the flood pushed me in towards shore.

Ended up starting the long walk back to the pickup, saw one or two more loners, but both times spooked quickly. Not as many fish as I was hoping on the flats after the reports from Capt. Keith. Back on the Ryder it was confirmed by others, just not as many fish around as Saturday. Anyways, all in all a great day on the water.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishweb.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	2022  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2003, 10:58 PM
President of CAC

Great report Guys and nice photo.. I am always afraid to drop my camera in the water... anyway it is more than clear that the tides really govern the action..it seems the best times are starting 3 hours into the flood and 3 hours after the start of the ebb... give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Flats Rat

That would be my favorite six hour period too

Nice reports guys - counting the days now - four weeks time and I'll be there - just praying for bluebird skies .....
Old 05-19-2003, 04:48 AM

Good going Nick and a great photo . Looks like a painting. Should have made it Sunday but had things to do. Saturday was nasty but the fish were there.
Glad to hear about the Ross Reel will pick one up one of these days.FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.