Rip Ryder Tuesday 5/20 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 08:28 AM
resigned

Rip Ryder Tuesday 5/20

Tuesday looks to be our first bluebird day for South Beach. Low tide at 11:50 AM and a southwest breeze (finally). You'll get to fish the incoming and outgoing tides on the flats with a jump over to the beach during dead low to look for those big migrating pods of fish. I had my best day on the flats last year at this time with this tide and breeze. All we need now is enough interest to convince Keith to make a run. I am having a problem with a heel spur and doubt I can make the walk from the lighthouse. Anyone for Tuesday? Juro? Your SW air is coming!

Phil
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2003, 06:24 PM

Hi Phil, 99 % sure I'll be available this Tuesday for South Beach. Will confirm Monday, early evening. Tides????? I see 10:12 low for Tuesday??? Hope I'm in the right month :-)
Have you checked if Rip Ryder is going out?
Hope Juro can join us if he is back from his trip.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2003, 11:42 PM
resigned

5/20 Rip Ryder

Low tide is 11:50 Am. www.monomoyislandferry.com Keith e-mailed me today. Is planning to bring me out after confirmation. Says two others will try and make it also. See you at the bottom of the stairs! Should be a great day if the weather holds as stated!

Phil Sheffield
Old 05-19-2003, 06:28 AM

Phil, I'll see you tommorrow at the bottom of the stairs. We should do well tomorrow....plenty of sun to warm up the flats. Went last week, did very well, towards the bottom of the tide, they were holding about 10 ft beyond the drop off.Then 2 hrs into the tide, they were coming onto the first 20 to 30 ft of the flats.
Ron
Old 05-19-2003, 12:33 PM

Hmmm. What time is Keith planning to take you? Very tempting.

Bill
Old 05-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'd love to join you guys but I am booked tomorrow. I've donated trips to several non-profits this year (CCA, TU, etc) in lieu of my past cash donations due to financial concerns.

Good luck out there and I look forward to your reports!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:39 PM

Bill, We're leaving at 8, staying till 4.....hope to see you there.
Ron
Old 05-19-2003, 09:57 PM
resigned

5/20

Bill and Ron. See you in the AM.

Phil
Old 05-20-2003, 06:06 PM

Thanks to all who came out today!
Sounded like everyone had a decent day out there. I was glad to see the weather cooperated fully. Nice to see a couple of fish going home for the Barby.

Thanks again

Capt Keith
Old 05-21-2003, 06:54 AM

You are most welcome Captain Keith! Was a great day. Tried your recommended technique of letting the fly drop through the hoard of twinkies, I failed!!!! I have no self control, I feel a hit and hit back :-)
I will now attempt to design a fly that looks like a preditory seal on the surface and changes to a sand eel at 8 feet to make up for my short comings. Let's see......start with loosely applied grey silly skin, that falls off at 5 ft, then......... :-)
Ron
Old 05-21-2003, 08:03 AM
resigned

I'll add another thank you Keith. Today was a good day. Ron and I walked out to J bouy after being skunked near the dropoff. Noticed some birds in the roundout way up inside and had a field day on the schoolies. Each time we would catch a tiny fish a much larger one would show up and try to eat it. Switched to one of Ron's gurglers and managed a few larger fish. Monay was better. Less wind and tons of fish according to Keith. Lots of keepers not far from the stairs!

Phil
Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 AM

Tuesday - clear skies, warm temps, miles of absolutely deserted beach, even some fish! Day started right with a bright 24 inch fish while waiting for Keith. Made a day out of a long walk around the entire South Beach, crossing back and forth at different stages of the tide to see what was happening. Clammers working the flats hard. Had expected to see more migrating pods, considering the great weather. Only really saw a couple of large cruising pods all day, but I could have been in the wrong places at the wrong times. Fast strips seemed to outcatch slow bounces for me. Bunch of subkeepers in various spots along the inside, but I really had my heart set on checking out the surf side. On the way back to the pick up crossed over to the surf side one last time. Decided to call Keith to delay my pickup time by an hour. Put down the cell, looked up, and saw 100 terns crashing the water 1/2 mile down the beach. Bolted (well galloped). Saw one huge cloud of fish about 60 feet out. Almost stepped on one large stray cow because I was looking out at the terns and stripping line (dope!). Launched 8 or so casts before the group dispersed - not far enough. 5 foot waves. Totally forgot I was tired. Great thing to see (but frustrating). Only outside pod I saw. After an hour of quiet sunshine, debated crossing back. Decided to stay. Saw one lonely tern diving but not actually hitting the water. No shadows below it but cast anyway. BANG. Long run. Several times. Waves reaching up to 6 feet pushing him in quite a ways between his runs back out. Had to reel fast and run up and down the beach like a maniac to avoid a snap. Nice 34 incher on my only outside hookup of the day. I love this time of year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.