Repeat of an 'oh my God' on the cost of reels. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Repeat of an 'oh my God' on the cost of reels.

I've posted a similar thread a couple of years back and I'm still amazed at the prices you can pay for spinning reels. Was putting through a Cabela's catalog and they have two different spinning reels that you can pay from $500 to over $650 each.

Hoy Vey, we've come a long way from the old Zebco's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Marine Scientist

Are those Van Staal or Shimano? Honestly, it's rediculous. If I'm not fly fishing, I'm using the spinning gear, and I own several outfits with both Shimano and Quantum (produced by Zebco) reels. Any freshwater reel over $60 is out of the question, and I draw the line at around $130 for a saltwater reel. I don't care if the thing has 100 ball bearings, I can land any fish that the more expensive reels can with my "modest" tackle.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:14 PM

Fred,
you are right how can you get so much reel for so little money, now look at the Hardy Cascapedia,
http://www.wagnerrods.com/pict17.jpg

New for 2001, and available in limited quantity is the nicest reel we've ever seen: the Hardy Cascapedia. This reel was first issued by Hardy in 1932, and only 113 were ever made. Originals have sold at auction for $20,000+. This reissue is for only 500 reels, of which only 150 have been made available in the USA.

These reels are made in two sizes, the size 1/0 Brunswick Cascapedia and the 4/0 Salmon Cascapedia. The 1/0 is suitable for line sizes 2-6, but is best balanced on a 5-6 wt. rod. The 4/0 Salmon model is rated for line weights 9-11. Both reels feature spools made from highly polished bar stock aluminum. The side plated are ebonite, the rims stainless steel, the seat brass nickel, and the pillars, drag selector and check button are nickel silver. Both have flawless drag systems, with red indicator setting dots

Each reel is numbered and signed by the craftsman, and comes with a black leather case...and...no kidding...a pair of white gloves.

Things of beauty that take a XLT and stacks of backing, yes I fish with one, you thought you were the only tackle junkie!!!!!!!!!!

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 05-14-2003, 04:21 PM

A more complex reel

I have always thought the single action fly reel was expensive. A machined spinning reel has many more moving parts then a simple fly reel. jerry
Old 05-14-2003, 04:35 PM

Malcom, I'll give in to the idea they're beautiful reels ..

but, as J. Paul Getty is reputed to have said: "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."
Old 05-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

You can always take a gasp at the price of a Charlton Titanium single action reel with extra spool. They are about $6,000.00
Old 05-15-2003, 02:09 AM

WOW...

My wife and I paid $4,900 for our first home it had two bedrooms and a garage with Old Growth Trees and a 5 acre park next door.
there was plumbing and electricity too. I thought the new fly reels were overpriced,not to mention the old ones. I am not going to call BS but I will look this up in a catalog before I tell her the prices of new "Spinning Reels"!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:18 AM

How about the Beaverkill series of Titaniums for $ 6,000 each, I am still looking to be a friend of one of their owners. Have not found one yet either !!

My first car a 57 Chevy custom coupe (harbor blue) was bought for $ 700. You know what these go for now ? Look it up, I would get sick again if I saw the current FMV prices of them, I GAVE mine to my brother when I went in the USAF in 1966. Then he went in the Navy a year later and sold it, of which I never got a dime in return nor never asked to this day.

PM Out
Old 05-15-2003, 10:49 AM
removed_by_request

Price up a plain old Charlton Spey reel.

She costs some $$ but feels like butter in your hands.

Best spinning reel hands down is the old 1960's or 1970's Zebco Cardinal series. They are a work horse of a reel and built like a tank.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:14 PM

Charltons look nice for sure, actually never seen one other than a picture.

Zebco cardinals were good.

I still have several Mitchell 300s which are still ticking after 30 years.

A pleuger medalist fly reel of 30+ years also.

PM Out
Old 05-16-2003, 01:27 PM
removed_by_request

Mitchell 300 made in France, need I say more.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:47 PM
LBFF Mojo

Maybe it is just cause I have never fished gear but it seems to me a spinning reel is way more advanced than a fly reel. The price seems logical cause I do not mind (well my wallet does) paying $500 for a nice fly reel...

-sean
Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Chief of E.P.

A couple forces at work here. First, gear reels, with few exceptions, are more complex than fly reels and thus given similar materials, should cost more. Once again, with few exceptions, they do not. Why? Could it be that fly reels are status symbols and gear reels not? Or in other words, fly fishers are willing to pay top dollar to own a fancy name brand reel when 90% of the fishing they do doesn't need one. Let's face it, the Medalist for years was all you needed until it became uncool to fish one.

Don't get me wrong, I like good expensive reels and am lucky enough to have a few. They are worth it to me because I like them, not because I need them.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:57 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL guys

sean and sinktip have it squared up. Some (not all) find no problem in the cost of a machined fly reel, but not a spinning/casting reel. Some of these reels are actually machined same way. Bar stock aluminum, one piece. Precision made and hellacious reels. I will say, especially in the fighting aspect, some of these finer reels will last alot longer with same upkeep. They cast smoother, reels smoother, and drags are smoother. I must confess though, I LOVED my old pflueger fly reel. I sold her off a couple years ago. I never lost a big king or big steelhead because of the simple construction. Never had one fail, or burn up (mine was the USA made models). Of course, the moment I was able to step up to a nicer reel I did. But nowhere near the prices of some. In fact, in my baitcasting reels, I prefer the older 201sg's by shimano and the 5001c's by ABU over the new 5501c3's and the calcuttas. I have let fish beat those reels for YEARS and still hold up strong. The few new ABU's I had I ended up selling all off. I burned up the drags and reels overall in a matter of a season doing same work my old reels did. I had planned to retire my old reels, but ended up selling new ones and using my old ones.

So, it's nice to be able to buy these new high class reels. But, some of the old one's are just as good. But, will say, the old mitchells are alot heavier, clunkier, and don't cast as well as some of the newer reels. Now, playing the fish in it's great. But it's the use that kills you. I still have 5 old Mitchell spinning reels. I have two still on their old rods (one on my old surf rod, one smaller one on my trout rod). Rest are well protected and put away. Plus, I don't use spinning reels. I use either baitcasters or fly reels.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:37 PM
removed_by_request

I would never part with my Cardinal 4's, used the same one for 15 years with zero problems.

I have 10 others that have never been fished (by me) just sitting tucked away. Sometimes that old stuff is the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.