Fly tying book - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2003, 08:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Morania
Fly tying book

I was wondering if there was a good book around for beginning fly tying that will weed through the gobbledygook and define the materials used for tying simple things like wooly worms.
The smaller the better actually.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Marine Scientist

I've got one by Dick Talleur (sp.?) that does this; I think it's called Basic Fly Tying and should be available at many shops and book stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2003, 09:38 PM

Randall Kaufman books...

His books are good. I would suggest his book on nymphs. He starts out with getting a good basic set of tools and materials that you will need, then starts with simple patterns and works you up to more complex flies, building on the techniques you perfected with the easier flies.

BobK
Old 05-13-2003, 10:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Morania
Good speller

You spelled it right Fly. I found a copy on Half.com for under 10 bucks. Might get it so I can tie my own wooly worms.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
...and Randall has a new book out that is excellent for beginers.

It is short, simple and to the point plus he has some instructions on tying some of the latest greatest patterns that you can not find in most begining tying books.

It is titled Flytying Made Easy for Beginers and has not only good tying instructions but excellent descriptions of various tools, materials and basic techniques...and I'm not just saying this becuase he is my employer! :hehe:

www.kman.com
Old 05-13-2003, 11:59 PM
"chicks dig scars"

"The Art of Fly Tying '" is another great step by step intro book. The author, whose name eludes me at the present, takes you step by step through each type of fly and covers a general over view of terms, tools, materials, and techiques. Truly is a great starter book. Bought the copy i have at wal-mart about three years ago. ( $19). there are many good starter books on the market, find one and leaf through it and you will eventually find the one that is right for you and your learning style.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 AM

Eric Leiser's "The Complete Book Of Fly Tying" IMHO can't be beat. I learned to tie from that book and I am not a very "handy" person. My flies look good, hold up, and some people catch fish with them. It should cost you about $20 if you search the web for a bargain. I think it lists for $30+.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Pullin' Thread

As flyfisha1 said, the Talleur book is the best I have ever seen. Another very good one is the Fling & Puterbough (sp) book "Basic Manual of Fly Tying". Helen Shaw also has a great beginning fly tying book that I believe is simply called "Fly Tying".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.