Now is the time to fly fish the Hudson River - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Recent Member

Now is the time to fly fish the Hudson River

The Esopus Flats - Kingston area broke wide open this past week. Saugerties to Albany should open up this week and the next three weeks will see hungry, waiting to spawn striped bass on the prod, in the upper of this river!

Those longrodders who are serious will continue to try to connect with a big striped bass. Many others will go to the coast for easier schoolie action.

Flats fishing, in the dark on a dropping tide with big flys (snakes, herring, top water pushers and gurglers should work) on into dawn should be the way to make it happen.

The water is warming up, and wading and yaking will be easier. Drifting a flat in a small boat set up for fly fishing will work too!

So what's it going to be? Easy little fish action in all the old places or some cutting edge,shots at big fish on the Hudson River?

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Be gentle on them... I'll do the same when they arrive in Chatham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Hudson

Hey Bob send me a PM may head up that way. Perhaps meet up?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:57 AM

When you say Esopus Flats in Kingston, are you refering to the lower Esopus near the Hudson?
There was another area on the Esopus that was known as "the Flats", but it was a ways upstream. It was a great place to wade and cast dryflies to wild rainbows until it was bought by a private club which posted it. The Flats is where I caught my first fly caught trout, in 1972. It is also the place where I fell into my first major river.
I grew up on the lower Esopus in Kingston. My Dad worked at IBM which if I remember is very close to the lower river. It's amazing to think that back in the early 70s, the river had big stripers in it and nobody fished for them.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Recent Member

Mikez,

The Esopus Flats are on the western shore of the Hudson River in the Town of Esopus. They are directly across the river from the Esopus Lighthouse. The area is south of Roundout Creek at Kingston, NY and north of Black Creek.

Esopus Creek enters the Hudson another 12 miles north of Kingston at Saugerties. I don't know who the hell Esopus was, but he was a popular fella way back when folks started naming things in the mid Hudson Valley.

BTW - The new State record was taken on the northern edge of the Hudson River's Espous Flats in 18 feet of water on a chunk of herring. 55-pounds - 48.5-inches.

NYS/DEC netted a striper over 60 pounds in the same area last week while doing a bait survey. I'm trying to pin down exactly how much over 60-pounds that fish was.

This weekend should be prime time in the Kingston Area for stripers. Water surface temperature here in Athens is 57.5-degrees this morning.

:eyecrazy: I'm fishing everyday and haven't connected yet!

Time on the water will solve that problem, I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.