Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham Bait

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Those who have fished recently in Chatham.. what is the predomient bait you are seeing..Juro is saying Silversides... any eels in the mix or other kinds of bait fish... anyone seeing this clearly... I will be tying up som FB silversides this week but want to know what others are also seeing. I suspect sand lances will be rare .. thanks.

#2 ·
Inside the tub it was absolutely silversides, some larger ones too up to 4-5" long. There were a few concentrations that were thick and the terns and schoolies were pounding on them. Last weeks littering of seaworms on the shoreline was absent yesterday, but there were lots of copepod swarms on the flats which the little gulls were picking up in flight for hours on end.

Of course the bait du jour is herring elsewhere this time of year. I haven't done my usual southside sweep to see if sand eels are pushing up the coastline but I would imagine some of the more prevalent bird feeding activity off in the distance lately (both outer beaches and Nantucket Sound) has been sand eel activity. I sure hope so!

Harry over at Nauset Angler says that mackeral have been appearing on Nauset lately in addition to herring in the area, which means some serious fish in the days to come will be caught I'm sure.

Most fish are not very picky this time of year. If they are moving and feeding, just about any morsel will do the trick. You'll do well with anything right now IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.