Chatham South Beach 5-10-03 - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Here fishy fishy

I'm planning on this Friday, starting before the am low if anyone wants to connect. Drop me an email or PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ron -

If you are going to be there Wed - Fri, we should talk. Rip Ryder doesn't start running every week day until there is enough business, probably Memorial Day. Until then they run weekends in the early season unless there is enough interest mid-week so we should combine our interest in making the run to ensure the trip will go.

Wednesday they need the boat in the water for a 9am CG inspection so all early runs out must be before that time.

Thurs it will be up to us to make enough of a headcount occur.

Anyone planning on going out during the week please call Capt.Keith or PM me please.

Juro
Old 05-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Recent Member

Juro,

Great report!!! We plan on arriving up there on 22 May for five days of nonstop striper fishing and we can't wai!!!!

Great post, great fish, great photo!!!

Mark
Old 05-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Frankly it's still early season in Chatham and the southside beaches and river mouths are probably a better bet until we get some SW winds and warmer currents pushing into the corner; particularly with the herring in thick in rivers further west. The fishing this weekend will be good along the Nantucket Sound shoreline with a mid-day flood making it worth sticking with it thru the whole day. I am sure the migration is still very much alive and well and if you intercept a wave of bass somewhere along the sound's shoreline you will be in for a big payoff.

Despite cool weather, the Stony Brook run is full of herring so the bayside flats will be hosting some of the years biggest bass - if not now, then in a matter of days.

Even still, some of us are addicted to the aesthetic of Chatham - those who think it's about the fish have it all wrong.

The recent observation that fish are staying off the flats an in the trenches and vegetation indicates that it's still early. There are schoolies everywhere, but the key to finding the big fish is to think migration, and how to interact / intercept these movements from shore. Not an easy puzzle to solve, but definitely worth some study.

We have some very exciting days just ahead!
Old 05-13-2003, 11:50 AM
resigned

Chatham Aestetics

There seems to be precious few places in the Northeast left where you can see nothing but sand, dune grass and water while searching out the quarry of your dreams. Large striped bass and the shadows they cast beneath them in the sand are mesmerizing beyond definition, for me. Lots of people ask me why I drive so far to catch only a few large fish. Only a few because I often forget to cast thinking all of this is merely dream and if I cast I might wake up and the dream will end. On several occasions, so awe struck that a large fish would swim so close to me in two feet of water, I have remained still, frozen, as not to frighten them. One 40" plus fish swam between my legs. Only happens once in a lifetime. Would never have happened had I attempted a cast. Yup, I can catch lots of fish here in Mystic but when I dream I see lots of sand, dune grass and dark moving shadows.

Phil

Last edited by bonefishmon; 05-13-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.