Housatonic 5/10 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Flats Rat

Housatonic 5/10

Made my first trip down to Milford Pt. today to catch the last couple of hours of the outgoing. Lots of guys from the marsh all the way down to the breakwater - similar scene on the Short Beach side.

Lots of boat traffic too - the 50F+ brings all the "wallys" out. One Yo-Yo managed to run aground in the fog - he bought himself a six hour wait at least. Hopefully his wife will give him hell when he gets home

Fishing was hot at times. I managed to christen my new TF Spey rod and Abel 3 reel and Rio windcutter line Finished up with 6 for just over an hours fishing dropped a couple more. The best went just under 28" and I saw what looked like a keeper sized fish landed on the Short Beach side. All nice bright fish. Headed back tommorow a.m. but plan to get there a bit earlier.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Flats Rat

5/11 follow-up

Slower today - bitterly cold Easterly wind which almost pushed me off the river. Perseverance paid off however. First fish was a 24 incher that did an amzing job of thawing out frozen fingers. The second was pushing 30" and almost took me into the backing a couple of times - my best striper from the Housy to date.

Very little evidence of bait in the water but herring are running all the way up to Derby.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:31 AM

Sounds like a couple good days, Adrian. I love that area but the crowds put me off sometimes. Sometimes boats will really crowd you if they see you hook a fish. Used to have a more serious deterent in hand when I was flinging 2 oz Castmasters. I plan to make a couple night yak trips this week up river if the weather is any good. Almost no traffic, large are there and they are taking big flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.