5/9 Chatham Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 11:55 AM
resigned

5/9 Chatham Report

Something serious has to be happening to make me want to do a five hour roundtrip drive to catch Striped Bass. Keith Lincoln was right on a $$$$$$ when he said "They're coming!". Today is Friday and mostly cloudy and the water temperature is averaging 53 degrees in deeper water at South Beach and the tide is full high at 7:30 am and it is raining. Rip Ryder was not running today so I did the one hour walk from Outermost Harbor to the South Beach ferry dropoff and nearby sand shoal. I stood at the shoal for 30 minutes to start fishing. The rain has stopped. It was too cloudy to spot fish at the desired 50" mark. I saw two small fish too close to cast so I moved north to dropoff. Took an hour off from fishing to wait for the tide to drop. Let the games begin! I lost track off how many fish I caught there blind casting. Since the weather report was not as good as stated (raining again) I moved North back to Outermost Harbor fishing the whole way. I caught schoolies in the grass all the way back. Needless to say, my arm and feet are very tired today! Saturday should be even better but there are things to do that require my presence here in Mystic. Wouldn't you know, the sun came out when I got in the car to drive home! Good luck to all!

Phil
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Sahweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2003, 01:56 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Phil, If I wuzz you...

...I'd beat-feet over to the merry-go-round at WatchHill...park in the back lot while it's still dark...and march out to the inside of Napatree to phish the phlats...outside too!
An olive over white clouser sand eel and an 8wt and you could have your handzz full...BIG-STRIPES have been rounding Montauk for more than a week and a phew have been lookin' for YOU!

That's what I'd do if I lived in Mystic...
Old 05-10-2003, 02:33 PM
resigned

Penguin

Thanks for the advice. I know the Napatree area well. Problem is I've been spoiled. I'm a photographer, and in the visual sense, seeing is believing. I've become an addictive Chatham sight fisherman. That's something you can't easily do where i live unless you own a boat. Sandy Point, near Napatree, has a great flat and tons of eel grass beds. Come on down when you can and we'll do some fishing. I'll take your advice though. Will try Napatree tonight if I can get away. Got fish right here where I live on Mason's Is. at the mouth of the Mystic River but it's all blind casting.

Phil
Old 05-10-2003, 08:47 PM
President of CAC

Juro called me about an hour or so ago with a report I will let him make... and he has Photo's..... Needless to say he had quite a day... with a few "big" fish down south beach. I will be down next Saturday at dawn... If I get to CAC early friday night I will do a night patrol depending on the Tide.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:14 PM

Picked up my ORV this a.m. and headed out with Sean for this year's maiden voyage. Was able to kill the skunk (x2)...which was the goal. Although my two fish in length (combined) were hardly 1/2 of each you're going to hear about from Juro. Which is why I'm burying this post here so as not to look like too much of a schmuck next to Juro and "friends" But I digress.

To say it was great to be back on the water would be an understatement.

I look forward to seeing you all out there in the upcoming weeks and months.

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
Juro called me about an hour or so ago with a report I will let him make... and he has Photo's..... Needless to say he had quite a day... with a few "big" fish down south beach. I will be down next Saturday at dawn... If I get to CAC early friday night I will do a night patrol depending on the Tide.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:45 PM
resigned

Hey Penguin!

You were right on the money! I fished out the door at my house here at the mouth of the Mystic River. Honkers everywhere! Eight inch Herring patterns were the ticket. First fifteen minutes after sunset, nothing and then the action started. Not a schoolie in the mix. One huge one wrapped a rock down deep. Never saw him. What a great start to the season. Hey guys! Don't forget the flowers> I'm not fishing today.

Phil
Old 05-11-2003, 02:25 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...I'd never...

...Give you a bum steer!

Phil...
When I was stationed (USAF) in central Taxachusetts I'd launch my SeaSwirl 21 outa' the Thames and phish the Race and Fishers' but my best times were spent on Sugar Reef and Napatree...
Or a non-motorized-self-propelled Yak attack from Barn Island and play the phlatz around Sandy Beach on the inside...That was ALWAYS very special!

IMHO...You sir, are stuck in the middle of one great spot!...Even though it's located on the DarkSide (of the canal)...

LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 05-11-2003, 05:52 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

The "Darkish Side"?

Pete (and Phil),

I can be there in about 4 to 4.5 hours. If the tides are right, want to meet next weekend? All the Joisey fish ae going to be headed your way!

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 05-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
BFM, I gotta get my parents boat in the water. Where around the MR where you fishing? Monestary? Mumford Cove? In the river itself? If you don't want to divulge, I understand. Private message works fine....

thanks,
nick
Old 05-12-2003, 11:33 AM
resigned

Hey Nick

My "out the door" spot is at the southern tip of Mason's Island just over the cove from the monastery. Chuck your fly up current and let sink in close to the rocks fifty feet to the right of the dock. Intermediate line. Slow retreive. Just enough to take out the slack. There is a STRONG current seam near the rocks. The bass suspend there like trout waiting for food. The area on land is private and is owned by some rather rude doctors that are hardly ever there. Call me when you down if you like.
Like any good current, it is hit or miss. When the hickory shad show and get hooked they always seem to get eaten by monsterous fish that refuse flies. Very few of these shad get released by hand. Seems my son has taken to feeding them on a regular basis, when he is here in the summer, using tiny fresh water hook decievers that pull when the bass hit. Its a hoot watching the 3o lb. bass come up right under your nose to grab their dinner. Some thing you don't get to see when you are actually fishing. He draws a crowd sometimes. My son is a trout addict in Bozeman, Mt.. Catches five lb. fish on a regular basis! I've seen the photos!

Phil
536-3551

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.