California's version of "Dumb and Dumber." - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 11:05 AM

California's version of "Dumb and Dumber."

Amazing what you find when your not looking! Many would acknowledge California is LaLa-Land, but this hair brained idea just about takes the cake.

On one river (Feather) they're talking about a 'ramping up-down' daily water flows that equal-exceed the Rogue's flow from the Warm Springs dam that controls the entire upper end of the river. Just so someone can have a fun day on the water.... and hang the obvious cost to the enviornment.

http://www.powwer.org/
http//www.powwer.org/background1.htm

Additional clues as to why California is in 'deep Dutch.' If you tried this stunt in Oregon you'd be put away in a funny farm. Except this isn't funny.
fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Recent Member

They don't call Calif the "LEFT COAST" fer nothin'!!!!! Ya might as well say that iffin we "LEFT" them alone long enough, Californians would SINK into the PACIFIC:eyecrazy: from their own weight of STUPIDITY!!!!!

Now I do agree, several Californians of Conservative persuasion might figure the problem out in time to STOP the DRUDGERY, but ARE THERE enough of 'em to compensate????? Just askin!!!!!:eyecrazy:

I'll bet they are "LEFT HANDED" tooooo!!!!:hehe:

DAN
Old 05-07-2003, 04:20 PM

And it just gets more interesting all the time.

E mail just informed me that the month of May is "water awareness month" in California.

Dear God .........
Old 05-07-2003, 08:22 PM

California.....

Yeah. Love it. They rob all the water from the rest of the western states, and don't allow energy plants there. They are energy starved and water starved. Then they have the unmitigated gall to p--s away water for water recreation???

Once, when on a business trip there, I asked an engineer how the fishing and hunting was out there. The reply I got floored me. This yo-yo said, "We don't do blood sports out here!" Well. la-de-da! So much for "The land of fruits and nuts".

We keep bailing 'em out with disaster relief for earthquakes, floods, brush/forect fires, and mudslides. And they are so dumb, they flock back to the same areas so it can (and does) happen to them again! I'm starting to lose my patience as far as California is concerned.

Wish all the western states would unite to "ration" their resource sources so they don't totally waste 'em - they don't deserve 'em!

Just my opinion!

BobK
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 PM

:>) Bob, don't hold back ...

tell us what you really think.

Moved to Calif. in 1984, moved out in 1996. Except for Healdsburg, CA (a truely great place) it was the longest 11 years in my life.... short of meeting/marrying Joan.
fae
Old 05-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Sponsor

The problem is people who know nothing about the enviroment and the consequences of any enviromental change decide one day to do something really stupid. All the poeple around them are just as stupid and say "Hey what a great idea!".
Old 05-08-2003, 12:39 PM

Will, love your two little animated critters.

Perfect!!! for your post and the topic.
fae
Old 05-08-2003, 12:57 PM

Wow! I lived in CA for ten years, and the fishing is terrific. So is the hunting. In fact, just about anything that you can do outside('cept for ice fishing and cow pie tossing) is just about as good or better than anywhere.
California bashing is good sport in states with long miserable winters and populated by unattractive, dim witted people living second rate lives. I'm glad that you folks have figured out where you belong
California will continue to provide the rest of the country with the food, technology and tax dollars that this country depends on. People from the miserable states will continue to escape to California. Sort of like Cuba: The only ones left are completely devoid of ambition.
And befor you go off on Californians moving to your state, remember, there are more Mainers in California than there are in Maine. Same goes for Texans, Oregonians etc. Why did I leave the Golden State you might ask? I couldn't leave my family alone on the sinking ship, so I've got my life jacket (down jacket) on, and I'll make the best of it.
There..."fair and balanced" forum.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Fly chucker

Well said, Eddie. I realize that people may feel the need to vent here now and again, but there's always at least two sides to every issue.

On a totally unrelated note, I think we may have a candidate for the title of Site Crumudgeon.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Recent Member

Fair and balanced????? :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:
Quote:
California bashing is good sport in states with long miserable winters and populated by unattractive, dim witted people living second rate lives. I'm glad that you folks have figured out where you belong
Evidently you were asleep the whole time you lived there!!!

Have YOU looked into a mirror lately?????

Just askin'

DAN
Old 05-11-2003, 02:26 AM

Bail out?

I wouldn't worry about bailing out CA, since they pay more taxes than most of the rest of the USA combined. And I'd like to be the first to thank the state of Texas for their long and proud contributions to the sport of fly fishing.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:10 PM

Easy now...those guys were just clowning around.
You know, like saying ALL Texans are like the crooks over at ENRON (who hadn't paid ANY taxes since 1996!).
No, most Texans are not at all like those crazy ladies who killed their kids. And Texans are not like the Houston cops that framed over two hundred Mexicans on false drug charges. The creeps who dragged the black guy to death behind the pick up do not represent the attitudes of the majority of Texans. The fact that Texas has to execute more of it's citizens than any other state does not make all Texans bad (with each execution Texas gets better...right?).
Only a fool would judge a whole population of people based on a handfull of anecdotes. That's how I know that we're just kidding around...right?
As for Texas and flyfishing, outside of the PNW, Texas has some of the best casters I have seen. Must be the honkin' wind on the Gulf. The redfishing in Texas ranks as some of the best that flyfishing has to offer. I can't wait to go back to Texas to fish. This is a fishing web site after all.

Last edited by Eddie; 05-11-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Recent Member

Nailknot, I wouldn't expect anything else from a "PSEUDOFIED CORN CHUNKER" from YOUR neck of the woods!!!!! Just goes to show ya what some just DON'T know and understand!!!!!! I don't need to go into the numbers and efforts many in Texas have done and contributed over the years to FLY FISHIN,,,,,,,,CUZ I'd hate to embarass you!!!!! And you probably wouldn't understand them anyways!!!!!!

Eddie, I could go on and on and on and on about each state and the MORONIC BEHAVIOR of some we would ALL like to get rid of that have made MOCKERY of each state!!!!! The BAD ones get the PRESS and we as "BASICALLY GOOD" citizens must live down the results of their behavior!!!!

Yer right,,,,,The Gulf Coast is a fantastic fishery as is Lake Fork and Richland Chambers!!!!! I have fished many Washington waters and many from other states!!!!! Seems to me each has something to offer in it's own right!!!!!! Each is different and each has unique fisheries and land structure!!!! Kinda like the cows grazin on the "OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE",,,,,,,,I thike we sometimes look at how "GREEN" the grass is somewhere else and don't see what's "IN OUR FACE"!!!

DAN
Old 05-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Golden Trout Guardian

Eddie and Bwana

As a native Californian and current resident of Texas I may bring a unique perspective to the ongoing discussion.
First to Bwana, before you critisize California hook up your bass boat and take a trip to one of these lakes Clear,Casitas, or Castaic and you will probably find that these are better bass waters than any in the state of Texas not to mention the Sacremento river delta. These areas are all stops on the national bass tours Whereas Lake Fork which has the reputation as being the best bass lake in Texas is still recovering from the large mouth bass virus and will take years to regain it's former glory days if it ever does( I fish there at least four times a year) As far as fishing goes Texas doesn't hold a candle to California in any Species except maybe down on the coast for specks and reds(since those don't exsist in California)But the laws and law makers in Texas do try to protect the sportsman's rights here and for that I thank them.

Second to EddibBefore you critisize Texas pack your trout rods an come fish the Guadalupe river which is the southern most trout fishery in the country and has some giant rainbows in it.Also please remember that the Rodney King and Reginald Denny beatings happened and the riots that followed the non conviction of the cops that beat him(the first trials) and the state in which O.J. Simpson was not convicted(IMHO he killed her) I could go on all day about the crazies that live in California but it would take too much time. And don't get me started on Grey Davis and his cronies that have made horrible mistakes running the state and the natural resources for the state.

I guess what I am saying is that both of you live in wonderful states and even though they have their own problems and natural disasters (earthquakes and tornados)you have a right to be proud of them but a wise man once said let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.

Tight Lines & Shiny Sides
Old 05-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

We got a scrap going and I wasn't invited?

Well, as the son of a career naval officer, I was both born in Texas and schooled in California. I have benefited from travel throughout the states and many foreign countries and have an opinion or two!

Texas totally sucks! What's wrong with Texas IS Texas (and the Texans). Aside from some nice cheerleaders I can't find anything worth keeping there.

California is the natural wonder of these United States - almost any type of environment can be found there. You like seasides, they got 'em. You like mountains, they got 'em. Deserts, agriculture lands ditto. What ruins California is the Californians! You know, those disenchanted Texans who moved further west.

:eyecrazy: :hehe:

mmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.