The end... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM

The end...

Well it looks as if the Hudon River down in my area is over and done with. Yanking the boat this week for a good scrub and shine to get her ready for LI Sound and RI. Maybe even MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 10:03 AM

Saw some fair reports for Newburgh from Sunday, think it's passed there too? A friend is thinking things might really pick up this weekend up north.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM

North

I was thinking about heading up there myself. The only problem is thats full contact fishing up that way. Lots of traffic in tight quarters. We shall see what the story is come the weekend.

Gonna check tonight to see if anything is brewing out by me.

Heading out tonight?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'm sorry to hear that... but.... YEEHAH!!!

I'm anxious to have them up this way, to put it mildly. Thanks for keeping us psyched in the meantime.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:58 AM

Week

The fish up north on the Hudson should be heading back out in about a week or so. Start cleaning your reels and dressing those lines. It wont be long.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Mike, I may head over there tonight, haven't checked the weather yet. Nobody else has been on the water in the dark but I stay around Dennings, they're moving barges on the Newburgh side down by Plum Pt.

Hope to make a few a little smarter before they head your way Juro.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:34 AM

Thumbs up Tellers

Took a ride down to Tellers. Lots of Gulls working the bay. Found fish scattered throughout the bay. Picked up two on light spin gear. Moved a huge fish in 3ft of water. The boil that came behind the lure was gigantic! Must have went 3ft across. Looks like the Alwief are in heavy in that area now. Gulls where picking them off the surface. I think I missed some great action just before I got there. Lots of dead Saw Bellies and lots of Gulls sitting on the water. Makes me wonder what happened and hour or two earlier.... Blitz maybe? Only the fish Gods know for sure.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:25 AM

It ain't over 'til it's over

Sure sounds like something wild happened there. I stayed local, I could yak with a buddy and weather looked dicey. Was slow but managed a 36 incher on a fly, my best on a fly so far. Maybe this weekend things go nuts on the Hudson.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:58 AM

Sneeze

Nothing to sneeze at Wes. Hopefully it will give soon. These weather fronts are definately playing a role in the activity.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM

Mike,
It's starting to happen pretty quick in W CT, bunker in Bpt and NH harbors, probably others.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:29 PM

CT

I got a few reports of fish in the Norwlak / Fairfield area over the past week. Nothing to get excited about but a few rats,weasels,runts,shorts,peanuts,dinks or whatever else you wish to call them.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:53 PM

So now you have a first hand report of a 36 incher in CT. Weather always a factor but a few better fish in last couple days Stmfd-Whvn. Heard abt a 22lber.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 PM

Good

Good deal. The boat is coming out next week. I will clean it up and get her ready. So when do ya wanna meet in Norwalk?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Recent Member

Mike, It might be over below the salt line, but it is just starting up here. The fish finders are showing fish all over the place in the Catskill to Albany (40 Mile) stretch. Lots of herring and lots of shad too. Trouble is the water temperatures are 54 on the surface and 45 below 12 feet. The stripers are not feeding and definately not spawning. I predict that major spawning activity will not begin until May 20th. The fish need 58 degree water to trigger the spawn and 62 degree water to hit their maximum spawning activity. After that, they will slide by Croton Point and on to the Sound and southern New England.

I think your right about Croton Point, but way off on the rest o fthe river. Some fish spawn in your area on the south side of Croton Point. All the rest (4-7 million fish) spawn north of West Point and all the way to Troy.

The historical spawning data in the upper tidal region - Saugerties to Albany shows the 3rd week of May as the most active week for years and years. With the cold spring rains and the late winter we just experienced, I'm thinkin the last week of May will be the week this year.

Wes - not this weekend but next weekend (5/16-18) should be a target date. The tides are right for high in the dark am hours and dropping through mid morning.

I was out today and saw many fish on the F-Finder. At least 30 anglers and no fish taken. My boat partner had a take on a live lined herring, but the fish took and spit it out quickly.

I'm heading out tomorrow and Sat, Sunday, Mon. etc. until I get these rascals warmed up to bite! We had overcast skys, on and off rain and cool weather. Tomorrow might be a little better. Sun in AM rain in PM.

"Ya gotta beleive!"

Old 05-08-2003, 06:47 PM

Funny how these conversations migrate from one board to the next. W/E of 17/18 probably Hudson days for me. I think Norwalks should be steaming around first week of June, maybe 2nd week, but I don't have the experience to corraborate that. I usually end up someplace else, fish are everywhere in the Sound. Thru at least the end of May we'll also be hammering them up in skinny water where you can't take yr boat in the upper Housy. If bunker are around I figure they won't ditch until W Sound gets too shiggy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.