Vancouver in late April? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 04:04 PM

Question Vancouver in late April?

I'll be in Vancouver (and maybe over to Victoria) in late April to early May, and I'm wondering about fishing opportunities. I'll have one day (two tops) and won't have lots of time to travel far. Not particular to what I fish for, or whether it be fresh or salt, still or moving, but would like to ahve a shot at something.

Happy to hire a guide for a day if anyone has a particular recommendation.

Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 09:19 PM

Mark:

If I were you, I would try to get Vancouver Island. The Gold should be fishing very well in April. If you are stuck on the mainland, try to check out the Squamish, I have never fished it but I have heard they get a good Winter run.

Tight Lines!
Old 02-28-2003, 04:14 AM

Thumbs up

Actually the Squamish returns have been VERY low for quite a number of years.Your best bets are the Vedder and Chehalis on the mailand and the Stamp and Gold on the Island.The Gold is considered a bit tough to fish successfully with the fly compared to the others but it can be done.The Vedder and the Stamp are the most productive of the south coast's rivers and the Vedder has a fly only time in either April or May(I can't remeber which so you'll have to check your regs) and there is lots of good water there.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:04 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Mark,

The Vedder would probably be your best bet. It is Fly Only as of May 1st, but the last couple of weeks of April is generally not too crowded with gear guys. There will definitely be fish, the only question - especially in May will be the freshet water level. When you get to town give Michael & Young Flyshop a phone call, they will know the water conditions and have some good guides available if you want.

Here is their web-site.

www.myflyshop.com/online.html

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 02-28-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:37 AM

What days are you in Vancouver?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 AM

BC report

Thanks for the advice all....have just returned from 4 days in Victoria followed by 4 days in Vancouver. Main reason for the trip was business in Vancouver, but did take a day to float the Cowichan over on Vancouver Island. Fished with Kenzie Cuthbert, who I would recommend.

Fished streamers for browns, and also added a couple rainbows.

Had an exciting moment when we spotted a good sized steelhead, but he or she moved through the pool too quickly to manage a good presentation.

Great time and beautiful country.

Mark
Old 05-06-2003, 02:39 PM

Smile

For the Cowichan Kenzie is the best.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up

TinPusher,

have no experience with other guides on that river, but was very pleased to fish with Kenzie.

He clearly knew the river well (including the names of the three fish who live just under the stump, river right, around the next bend), but also worked hard with the boat, and offered what we found to be good advice on techniques and equipment.

We were perhaps happiest that he painstakingly avoided either fishing or boating over water being fished by waders, or any interference with other boats, whether private or guided.

Ethical, a super nice guy, and good fishing to boot.

My thumbs up for anyone else interested in that area.

mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.