Northeast sight fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 09:22 AM
resigned

Northeast sight fishing

Bonefishing is great sport when it comes to sightfishing with a fly rod, but let's face it folks. Where we live up here in the Northeast we can't go bonefishing every day! We can, however, catch much larger fish on the "Flats" of New England. I've been spoiled by the white sand flats of Andros Island in the Bahamas. The likes of the Jolters Keys which is a flat almost the size of R.I., Bowen and Young Sound where you can cast to tailing bones for five hours! I've fished the Tub at Chatham and the Brewster Flats. Can we all please mend minds and list other famous light sand flats in the Northeast from which we can spot giant shadows that move and make our hearts pound? I would like very much to try some new spots closer to home as well. Who is the flats Guru on this Forum?

Phil
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We'd probably be better off to arrange flats sorte's than to reveal details on the site. In the past, such open-ness led to exploitation and an overall undesireable result, not to mention compromising others who had "earned" the knowledge over time and many miles of shlepping over soft sand (count me in that group). This is not to say it wouldn't be welcome to share with fellow Forum members, but publishing the details would be yet another thing altogether.

I would think that doing a flats sortie' of the month club would be better, one person shares a flat with those who show up at the appointed meeting place at the appointed time. We have historically done these kinds of things with great success over the years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I've stood on the Weekapaug Breachway and sightfished for stripers amongst the beachgoers in the summer.

Quonny and Ninigret have some good flats as well.

Nick
Old 05-05-2003, 09:50 AM

Flats..

Flats off of Gardners Island is a good spot. Flats off pf Mill Pond in Norwalk along with the Norwalk Islands. Also flats off the Shark Bar in Fairfield CT.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:44 PM
resigned

Flats

That's it? Come on fellas. What about you R.I. guys. I've fished the channel flat at Ninegret and Quonny. There must be others but perhaps too dear to your hearts to publish here on the list. Please e-mail me privately if they must remain off the forum list. I'll be happy to share a few spots with you as well.

bonefishmon@aol.com

Phil
Old 05-06-2003, 12:11 AM

Sorry Bonefishmon I may have scared off other willing posters. You see there was this very negative vibe in the area a couple of years back with people pointing fingers at those who talked about spots on line - basically folks (non-members who read this site) assumed any kind of crowding was automatically due to websites like this.

So since then instead of publicizing spots out in the open we have shifted gears to collaborating offline and having frequent get-togethers and that's been a total blast.

To make up for any stifling I might have caused:

- Crane's Ipswich area makes for excellent sight casting

- Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester opens for free access at 4pm each day and the inlet bar on Annisquam makes for excellent sight fishing but bring something to float over the hole near the beach on the flood, it's a very fast tide

- A skiff or yak over the shoals in Hampton Harbor allows some primo sight fishing in NH coast conditions

- Nauset beach mid-day offers surprising sight-fishing opportunities where long shallow shoals extend out from the shoreline (like south #7)

I am sure the New England coastline abounds with great sight fishing spots!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:04 AM
resigned

Thanks Juro!

Point well taken! Looks like meeting some fellow members to fish some of those spots are a must do. You say South Beach #7. You have numbers for all the shoals?? Jeepers creepers mon. You guys are really hardcore!!!! All I know is
if i don't get to the shoal beyond were Keith drops off in a hurry, I'll be staring at a guide with a ladder from a distance for three hours. Is that #7? I'd really like to see a drawing of all the favorite spots along South Beach and No. Monomoy.
Getting to know one flat intimately, one at a time, is as fast as i'd like to go. Looking like the weather will break on Saturday. Anyone going?

Phil
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16 PM

Nauset beach requires an oversand permit and qualified (inspected) 4x4 vehicle with gear to access. It has gates to enter and exit the beach, numbered. I was referring to last year's structure, no doubt this year will be much different. I was only using it as a reference to identify structure type and there will be surfers and lots of swimmers to avoid. You'd be the only one fishing, but the fish would be plentiful, albeit finicky. This is a noontime pursuit. The section south of Nauset's public beach is what I was referring to as south Nauset, the Orleans only section being north Nauset.

As far as a detailed map of the structure on Monomoy Refuge... my dog ate it. :hehe: Besides you wouldn't want it. The joy is in the exploration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.