Rivermouth Pike - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Recent Member

Rivermouth Pike

I fished the Credit River mouth area in my hometown of Port Credit today. (In the clearer backwaters of the marina area.)
Using a 7wt flyrod , a full sinking line, a 4' leader of 25# test mono and my "secret weapon" fly, I caught 3 pike.
The largest was around 7 pounds, although I also saw one larger about 10 pounds.
secret fly was a 3" black rabbit-strip leech with lead-eyes.
Using polarized glasses, I could see individual pike sunning along the rocky shoreline there.
A strategic cast ahead of 'em, I then allowed the fly to sink to their eye-level or deeper.
You just twitched it back teasingly with pauses.
The fish either spooked away or ignored it, but eventually one would react, turn, follow & inhale it!! Yowza! What a blast.
This fishing only lasts a few weeks, then the pike move deeper as the water temps. rise. But for now, it's the best game in town!
After the pike leave, the smallmouth bass & carp move in for an all-summer treat. Fish on!
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Fly chucker

I agree that it's the best game in town early in the season....I'm going out today to sample some of it myself before things get too warm and the larger fish start to stage at the dropoffs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.