Steamer Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 06:01 PM
President of CAC

Steamer Fly

Just thought I would try a soft shell crab fly.. Silli skin digger, brown magic marker for tip.... Whitish brown hen cape on top of shell to simulate growth lines... inside , white marabou tips produding out slightly, brown tip marked with magic marker... brown magic marker along openning... Don't ask me if this is fishable...I have no idea! I may try it on the flats just to see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01685.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1983  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Marine Scientist

Interesting... I imagine that this one will evolve just as the crab apple did?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:41 PM

Striblue (John)

You got to go fishing soon this tying of crab flys has been taken to the limit. Got my spring steelhead fix in this week great trip lots of hookups and finally landings, out in some beautiful national forests, in solitude.

I feel for you FF colleague !

Hal

PM Out

P.S. That looks good enough eat to me being a born and bred NJ sea food aficiando !
Old 05-04-2003, 07:50 PM
President of CAC

Hal, I was out yesterday and it was cold and windy. I think the guys down the Cape had a better day today from the initial reports I see... so... After a day like yesterday..I start think about Bonefish and how they will take clams... so there it is ,the striper fly...It probably won't work but if I have my invisable waders on and my Zucatron fishfinder..I have no doubt the steamer fly will work... and if it doesn't I will slip it into the community steamer bucket at the Chatham Squire in disgust... with the hook off, naturally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.