CFR fly donation - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Fly chucker

CFR fly donation

Casting For Recovery (CFR) provides fly-fishing retreats specifically tailored for women who have or have had breast cancer. We seek to enhance the lives of breast cancer survivors by providing retreats designed to promote and support mental and physical healing. We are committed to socioeconomic and cultural diversity.

I have made contact with the director of CFR and put their mission statement above with his permission. At some point in our lives, every one of us will be directly affected by cancer, whether we have the illness ourselves or it's a loved one dealing with it. CFR provides a unique opportunity for breast cancer patients and survivors to gain mutual strength, respect, and support for one another. You can get much more information about the organization at www.castingforrecovery.org.

One way to help CFR is through the donation of flies that the women can use. In the spirit of our Big Brother Day, I think it would be an outstanding gesture for the Forum here to make a group donation of flies tied by some of our members. We ourselves are maturing as a group, and with that maturation comes an increase in our circle of influence in the local, national, and global community.

Can I see a show of hands from those who would like to join in with a donation of flies? The women fish on trout streams and ponds, so trout flies are in order. Once we get a handle on the number of folks donating, I'll PM my address, put them all in some nice fly boxes, and send them off with a cover letter of support and well wishes. This group is located in MA, so there may be potential to offer time in teaching on the water. Let's see how the fly donation goes, and if there's enough interest from CFR then maybe we can get some members here to help out one weekend on the water.

So, who's in?
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 08:17 PM
President of CAC

Mark..you know I would be in but I have not tackled trout flies yet... But maybe I could start... I intend to start looking at those...life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 PM

how about we introduce them to the salt!!??

haven't tied a fresh water fly in some time, but after what my mom just went through (bone marrow transplant and the whole nine yards), i'm in for a bushel of either flavor.

either way, i'm in.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:19 PM

Mark count me in for a healthy donation. This is a very good cause.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Fly chucker

Suess....the organization is pretty steadfast in its approach and focuses on trout. The gentleman I've corresponded with was pretty clear about that. I guess I can understand....the heavier gear required for the salt might be a bit much for someone undergoing treatments.

Striblue.....you could always send some of those Carrie Stevens streamers you've been meaning to do.

Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:40 PM

I should have added to my earlier response that CFR has a list of most used flies on there web site. A couple of the flys can be tied by anyone.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:37 AM

I'm in for a doz. flies. Do we send them directly to CFR?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:13 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I'm in, but............

I haven't tied a trout flie in 15 years. I strictly salmon/steelhead tie. BUT, I can tie up some wooley buggers if that's ok? I have the colors that I could simply change my steelhead buggers to standard buggers by downsizing/recoloring.

That ok?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Of course you can count me in! I would rather do an interactive thing with them over sending them flies since they are HQ in Needham MA, but whatever works for you. I'll have a dirty dozen ready when you need'em.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:20 AM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
one question how many do i need to tie?

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 05-02-2003, 07:37 AM

count me in...

I can contribute...recently lost a friend to cancer & he was a mighty fly fisherman with a passion for trout - seems like a good thing to do in his name.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Fly chucker

Pete- They'll be sent to me first, so I can organize them into some nice boxes and then send them all in the name of our group here.

Steelheader69- Wooly Buggers are great!

Juro- I need to work out more details for an interactive thing. There are many people who are already helping them on the water and with instruction, and these time slots are filled pretty far in advance. Let's see how this donation goes, and if there's some momentum then I can organize something, even if it's a year in advance.

SDH- As many as you like.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:02 AM

I'll chip in with a dozen simpler patterns. Any deadline or would March of next year be good?

Gregg
Old 05-02-2003, 08:31 AM

I'll pitch in. They're already tied up - just tell me where to send em
Old 05-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Fly chucker

Thumbs up

Guys- I'm gonna make this thread sticky for about a week so that everyone gets a fair chance to see it. John D has also posted announcements in the Trout Forums directing folks here.

After about a week, I'll unstick the post and send out mailing info and due dates. It sounds like a lot of you are ready to go with this....if so, please wait until my address is sent out.

Thanks very much for the response so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.