NEED HELP with fly tying - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Recent Member

NEED HELP with fly tying

I started tying flies a couple weeks ago and I'am having trouble with the dubbing, I cant seem to get it to stay on the the thread. Is there any techniques you guys have for this, Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Marine Scientist

Hi Hot Rod, welcome to the forum. There are bound to be many replies to a "thread" as open as this one, but I'll give you my experience. I was having a very difficult time with dubbing until I got a 5-minute lesson from a guy in an Orvis store. Essentially, the points are to...
1. wax the thread somewhat sparingly.
2. use dubbing sparingly.
3. wet your fingers.
4. roll the dubbing between the thumb and forefinger of both hands at the same time and in the same direction (which means that your fingers will be moving in opposition of one another with respect to your left and right hands, yet the line will twist the same direction).

Alternately, you can make a dubbing loop, which is what I do for many saltwater patterns. To do so...
1. drop the bobbin a few inches, hold the thread at the lowest point outside the bobbin, and bring the bobbin back up to the hook, thereby doubling the length of line outside the bobbin.
2. make a few wraps around the loop with the bobbin, securing it in place, then wrap the bobbin to wherever the next step calls for.
3. place a dubbing loop tool in the bottom of the loop (at least, this is what I do).
4. wax the thread in the loop sparingly.
5. sparingly place the dubbing inside the loop from the bottom up to the hook, then carefully spin the tool to form a somewhat-tight rope of dubbing.
6. wind this dubbing rope around the hook and tie off as called for in the pattern. If you have a true rotary vise, you can simply rotate the hook and wrap the rope in this manner.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2003, 06:29 PM
President of CAC

I wish I could help but Chris covered it all....
Old 05-01-2003, 08:34 PM

Welcome Hot Rod, Chris covered it pretty well the only thing I can add is that the less dubbing you try to put on the thread the easier it becomes.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:58 PM

Yup what Chris said.

I use Wonder Wax that comes in a dispenser like a monster chapstick for godzilla.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Or buy pre-waxed thread

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 05-02-2003, 12:09 PM

HR,

All excellent suggestions, but...

I would suggest you learn how to do it without using wax - you don't need it with most dubbing and in can make a mess. Keep it simple.

Buy premixed dubbing like hare-tron with very few guard hairs to start - it is much easier to work with and has a nice sparkle.

The trick to dubbing trout flies is to apply as little as possible to the thread and make mulitple turns of dubbed thread around the hook to build up the body. You want the diameter of the dubbed thread to be just a little thicker than the thread itself.

Pinch very small amounts at a time and roll through thumb and fingers IN THE SAME DIRECTION. Once you get the hang of it, it will be pinch, spin, pinch, spin and you'll be rolling in no time.

If you are into dubbing loops for big flies, which is a more advanced technique, then break out the wax.

Good luck

Last edited by BigDave; 05-02-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Recent Member

Thanks for the advice, I will try it tonight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.