Fly Fishing Forum banner

kennebec stripers

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dewey 
#1 · (Edited)
kennebec stripers?

I was wondering if you guys have any info about going after stripers in the Kennebec, in Maine, near Augusta. I've heard it can be quite good.
Is wade fishing productive?
Would a canoe be OK to fish from?
Tactical suggestions, equipment?
I know June is the time, but anyone have experience w/ good timing?
Any access points I should know?
Helpful web links?
That's a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate any words you might venture.

thanks!

#2 ·
dewey,

Most anytime in June is good up there. With a canoe you can put in up in Waterville and fish up around Ticonic Falls and the Sebasticook. Or if you want to do a day trip you can fish from Waterville down to the boat ramp in Sydney (highly suggested). You can also put in at the Sydney ramp and fish down to Augusta (highly suggested also). Either segment can be comfortably fished in a day.

You can also put in at Augusta and fish below the old Edwards dam site. This area can be wade fished as well around the old railroad trestle that crosses the river. Here at low tides you can wade out almost to mid-stream and fish the gravel bars and ledges above and below the trestle. The wade fishing on the Kennebec is well suited for spey fishing, if thats your fancy.

As for gear I would use a set up heavy enough to handle a 36 inch plus fish in heavy current. There are some very big fish up there.

#6 ·
thanks guys! I definitely will try to check it out.

If I can make it, I would love to meet up and try the long stick. I've never played with one of those, and would be psyched to see how you wiser jedi do it.

Other question - do the fish move freely past the old dam site? Is it equally good fishing above as opposed to in the brackish/estuary water below?
Also - does fishing above the dam require a license?
patterns?

I am getting very intrigued by this whole thing. I also read that in this one section you have a good chance at hitting smallmouths, browns, landlocks, and stripers in the same outing. Hoo dogger!

#7 ·
The fish move freely from above and below the old dam site. The tidal influence goes up about a half mile above the old dam but there is no saltwater intrusion. Saltwater intrusion ends several miles below Augusta.

I am not sure how far above the dam you can fish without a license. But it is probally not very far, you do not need one for fishing at and below the old dam site.

As for fish, if it's anadromous or freshwater and found in New England it's in there somewhere.

The blue back herring run seems to coincide with the arrival of big stripers up there. Flies with alot of white and a wide profile seem to be fairly effective. However the fish can be very finicky at times, thrashing herring on the surface in front of you, following your fly but not taking it. There does seem to be a night pattern with these stripers. My brother has got into some incredible feeding frenzies in the wee hours before first light.

If you take a canoe be sure to bring along a trout rod. There are spots where trout will be sipping flies 200 feet away from stripers thrashing herring. There is also a growing shad run up there.

I have no doubt that ten years from now this stretch of river will be one of New Englands premire fishing destinations and the HYDRO INDUSTRIES WORST NIGHTMARE. I love it.

This is a link to my brothers website. he has some maps and other good info. http://home.gwi.net/~fks/ksalmon.html

#10 · (Edited)
Kennebec stripers

Last june we had a ball down at Fort Popham as well as wading in Winslow. Canoe float trips down from the Waterville to the Sidney boat landings can be a blast. There are many points, ledges and gravel bars to stop and cast from. The smallmouth fishing isn't too shabby either after the stripers move out and the weather turns hot.
The fall, September through mid to late October can be really good too. Especially if there is a good freshet to drive the young-of-the year alewifes down. This pulls some nice stripers back up into the river , smaller flies make for great action.

The old Edwards Dam site in Augusta is as far up river you can fish without a Maine license.

#11 ·
hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks for all of this information. I plan on fishing the Kennebec on Saturday or Sunday this weekend from my canoe. If anyone will be there let me know. I'd love to meet up. Tim and Chris - Your help made this possible for me.
I'll report back next week. Thanks a ton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.