Still Spending Money??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Still Spending Money???

I was talking with a fly shop owner the other day and we got on an interested subject. He said sales have been slower in the past year than any other time in the 40 years he has been in business. He said $3000 days used to be common, but now he has been seeing alot of $50 and $60 days. The same people still shop there but instead of buying reels, rods and other high $$$ items they come in and buy a spool of thread. From what he said this situation is industry wide and everyone is being hit. If that is true it is going to be sad to see some shops slowly disappear.

I was just curious if you guys have slowed your spending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Fly chucker

I can't say that my spending has really been slowed, but for the most part I am making fewer major purchases. Items that would fall into the category of major purchases are well maintained so that they won't have to be replaced anytime soon. But I still find myself visiting the flyshop very frequently to hook up with buddies, get info, and make many purchases of fishing and tying consumables.

So maybe it's safe to say that I'm there more often, but not making as many large purchases. Does it mean I'm spending less money? Probably not.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:48 PM

Buying patterns...

I think my buying patterns mirror everyone else's. In five years, I may buy 3 rods, a pair of new waders, some wading shoes, a couple of new lines, etc...

But I don't have a PATTERN for doing it. I may get 2 rods in one year, along with some lines, a new reel..... then, next year, some fly tying material. The following year, maybe some waders and wading shoes....

I don't think you can "pin" it on one year, or an economy. But.... if there is a dearth of rod, reel, and other introductions and new products, then obviously things will slow down.

BobK
Old 04-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Marine Scientist

I'll bet I can tell you where part of the business has gone: mail-order and online purchases, as well as to "major" retailers like Bass Pro and Cabela's. In the pet industry, we (as manufacturers) have been hearing about it for years from small-business and family-owned shops. There are many obvious reasons to purchase through a catalog or online (pertaining to selection and convenience), but there are some things that these retailers just can't provide, and quite often that's first-hand knowledge of the performance of a product, or what tackle is best suited to your needs, information on what's hot right now in local water, or just plain old camaraderie. I order some of my rod-building supplies from Cabela's, but try to support our local fly shop by making all other purchases there. You're right, it would be sad to see these small shops close down.
Oh, and one other area that a percentage of sales has certainly gone to... ebay.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Sponsor

You brought up a point that I also considered. These big businesses are doing everything they can to squeeze the life out of the locals. We had a Bass Pro store come into our area a few years back and not long after one of the only local fly shops closed its doors. Places like that buy in such massive quantities that the local shops just cannot compete in price or selection.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Still spending money - you bet! In fact I just ordered a new Tioga reel and SA line from The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, Oregon (a forum supporter). As far as the local shop in Mount Vernon is concerned, I simply do not care if his business survives - I travel to the next county to do my "local" shopping for tying material and the likes.

mmm
Old 04-30-2003, 02:37 PM

I'd say my purchases are similar Dble Haul's spending pattern. Not like I've never bought anything from Cabelas and I'm not against big biz. The small shops need to have a niche, whether it's info, selection, service....... There needs to be something that competes with the price oriented big biz. I find that my local shops, many of them sponsors of this site, are great places and do compete without having better pricing. I like the shop keepers and value thier knowledge. I may pay a little more for some things and yes I'll go for the really good deal when I can get it. I'm talking a $20 clearance fly line vs. $45 not 42.50 vs. 48.50. I'd rather give a local shop my 48.50 than save $6 and loose that local resource. That may not seem very frugal to some but to do otherwise would be penny wise and pound foolish.

One thing I'd like to foster is a brand loyalty of sorts. Sponsors of this site get first crack at my fishing dollars. Unfortunately the economy determines if that will be $250 or $2500.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Marine Scientist

I agree with Jim; even though the prices at the local shop are often a little higher than I could pay on-line, I still value the experience of the guys that work there and shop there for that reason. Besides, for the few bucks I would save on-line vs. at the shop, I'd pay it back and then some with the obnoxious shipping fees.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have and always will spend money on flyfishing stuff, travel, lodging, rental cars, etc. The economy doesn't affect my fishing spending.

The economy affects whether I buy a new car, boat or house - but it does not stop me from enjoying a robust flyfishing lifestyle. Life's just too plain short to have ugly flygear.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
... Life's just too plain short to have ugly flygear.
There's a Sage bumper sticker in there somewhere, I just know it...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

CND Rods
Old 04-30-2003, 08:12 PM

I was going to say that I 'm not buying as much stuff, but then I remembered that I bought a boat last year
Old 04-30-2003, 09:30 PM
_

I don't visit the local fly shops too often, but when I go I usually spend at least $20. Even if I just go for one thing, I can always find some other "stuff" to buy. I think that both of the shops in my area are struggling and I try to help them out even though they aren't sponsors. Unfortunately, they don't have much saltwater stuff so I have to shop elsewhere for that.

Q
Old 05-01-2003, 11:59 AM

I think we were all the subject of a well-executed marketing blitz which happened to coincide with a period of high discretionary income. At least, I know I got caught up in it.
My recent purchases have shunned Abels and T&T's for Pfluegers, Sci. Angler reels , and mass-marketed fly rods. I think that equipment is just as servicable as the designer-made, top-end stuff, and at a small fraction of the cost.
Is it more fun to cast a T&T Helix than a Cabela's? Sure. Is it more fun to FISH with it? Well, it depends on how you define fishing, but I find the difference dwindling when I'm truly focused on catching fish or just enjoying being out on the water.
So yeah, I would say my buying patterns have changed from $500 rods to $100 rods and reels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.