Fly Fishing Forum banner

Green River

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
We made our yearly trip to the green river and just got back. The beatis are on strong starting about 1:30 and going until about 4:00. We had a partly cloudy day on Sunday and fished up from little hole about 2 miles. All fish were taken on the surface using size 20-22 Beefus emergers. The bugs are 16-18 but the fish would reject everything that size. The fish will even swim up to nautrals, bump them, and reject them. There was good surface action on midges in the evening right at little hole. Monday we went up to the dam and had good action nymphing with small midge stuff and bead head PT. That afternoon the hatch never came off and we were frustrated by a hatch of blackpeskysonofabitchsize32 midges. My size 26 gnat looked like an aircraft carrier next to the naturals. Yesterday was close to epic. We walked down from the dam about 1.5 miles to the first big rapids. The hatch started at 1:30 and I landed fish steadly for 2 hours on all sorts of beatis emergers. RS-2, soft hackle and a hairs foot soft hackle. The water was so clear I could fish without an indicator and set the hook by the movement of the fish. Great trip, i recommend fishing down from the dam, the fish are bigger and much badder than at little hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.