Pike Clave report - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Fly chucker

Pike Clave report

Our gathering took place today, a day after a cold front and substantial amount of rain had passed through the area. Not the best conditions for pike, but what are ya gonna do?

Our first signs of pike didn't happen until mid-afternoon when a fish bit through my 30 pound fluoro tippet on the strike like it was butter. I rerigged with Tyger Wire, and two casts later was into another fish that this time stayed on. Not huge, but a good start and nice tussel on the 9 weight.

I had contact with one more fish late in the day....it was a class size larger than the first, and only stayed hooked long enough for me to see its substantial size. I'll be seeing that one in my sleep tonight.

I had planned to try some of the flies that Pete had sent me and some of my own, but I really didn't need to change from Adrian's Daredevle flatwing from last year's pike swap. It did a fine job of getting some attention.

My only real regret was the weather....could have been better, could have been worse. I feel that if we'd had a few days in a row of the sun we experienced today, things would have been a notch better with more action for everyone involved. And speaking of weather, John and Adrian, check yourselves for windburn. I got my share.

Nice to fish with John for the first time, and always nice to fish with Adrian. I think I know where I'll be next weekend.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the boat ride Mark, it was a good time. Thats a nice river to fish. I could see a lot of fishy spots for later in the year. Oh, that was sun burn. Almost forgot what it was like after the winter.

Lessons learned for me are:
  • leave the deep sinking line at home next time.
  • Roop's big yellow pike fly has great action (especially on the deep sink line) but is a little too heavy to cast with an 8 wt.
  • Fish with the heavy stuff more often.
  • Put some bandaids in the tackle pack for the captain.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:34 PM
_

Sounds like you did a little better than I did in my local pike waters. You even got a good adrenaline rush to help keep things interesting! Gonna give 'em another try this year?

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2003, 09:07 AM
Fly chucker

Quentin- Yes......what are you doing Sunday? I'll be out there in my new ride, and you are more than welcome to join me. PM me for more details if you're interested.

I'm picking her up after work....I'm rather preoccupied right now.

Old 04-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Flats Rat

Great day on the water which almost got off to a disastrous start when I flipped the 'yak trying to rescue my rod

Mark had the hot rod this year - all I could manage was a follow from something not very large

Lots of interesting things going on out there though:

Ospreys circling overhead and the biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen came crashing though the undergrowth at one point - can't wait to see the pics.

Also, a large fish (pushing 10 lbs) which I couldn't identify got airborne about 30 feet from the kayak. It didn't look like a bass - plain olive coloring, dark back, large scales and orange tinged fins. Looked like an elongated Carp but I've never seen one jump like that before before.

Thanks Mark for organizing and John for the Albino Peacock tail feather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.