Quabbin Report 4/27 - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2003, 10:32 PM

Quabbin Report 4/27

Salmon and Lake Trout can be had right on top. The most productive method for me was trolling flies out of Gate 8. The Gray Ghost worked best. Shore anglers seemed to have action on shiners and bobbers.

I know it was trolling but a laker on a fly is a first for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 11:18 PM
_

Thumbs up

Awesome! I went to Quabbin on a cold, windy, cloudy day in April a few years back and tried for lakers/landlocks using spinning gear but all I caught was one bass. It was a miserable day. Any signs of bass while you were there?

Q
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Fluff

Sully, those flies were trolled in Maine, so...
Old 04-29-2003, 10:55 PM

Quentin,

I did see one guy in a bass boat who was pitching what looked to be crank baits or divers. I didn't see him hook uo though. Most everyone else was after salmon or lakers. Also I hear heading south from gate 8 is good smallie waters but we didn't go down there. That area is now pretty much restricted by the dam.

DFix,

So what your saying is I'm a Mainiac? Trolling flies after ice out is a traditional way to fish that goes back a long way. I had fun and got three lakers to boot. Which you usually have to go after with downwriggers and all sorts of assorted HW.

Hope to see you guys near some SW real soon.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gate 8 is awesome, haven't been there in a long time but I should. That must have been a blast Sully. Never know when you'll hit a nice landlock either. There used to be this breakfast place near the entrance, fireplace, home cooking - fantastic place I hope it's still there.

Smallmouth heaven is over at Gate 43 (?). Once you motor out of the launch area you hit a large bay area that is wall-to-wall smallmouth until you get out into the main lake. The largemouth guys fish along the shoreline but the smallmouth were hanging around on the plentiful shoals lining the bay, non-stop action. This was post-spawn, mid-June would be my guess. They'll be on the redds late May / early June most likely.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Fluff

Hey Sully !!!

HoHo, HeeHee haha :hehe:

haven't fished in Maine in more than twenty years, nor at Quabbin, same timespan. Trolling works great !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.