This is getting ridiculous ! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2003, 10:54 PM

Unhappy This is getting ridiculous !

1. I'm been in love with a spey rod since January that I cannot cast unless I purchase it blindly. No fly shops in my area have it in stock !

2. I'm 0 for 21 on steelhead landings !

3. I am 100% on sucker landings !

4. My Renzetti Traveller Vice jaws froze together last weekend after 9 years of use !

5. My last bobbin got clogged tonight with glue or wax. Trying to fix it but may have to buy another before I can tie flies again !

6. I have a number of flies to tie before going up to Michigan next sunday !

7. The Siberian huskies have taken a liking to my fly tying materials !

8. I have an Intruder tying fetish like Kush, only it is Show Girls and a couple of other top secret flies I am working oe, which I cannot control !

9. I have not participated in fly swap in over a month !

10. I must have a couple of thousand flies. The last couple of trips I have lost maybe one or two flies hardly enough to justify continued tying, but I do it anyway!

11. My fly boxes are overflowing, I cannot fit anymore in my vest, but it seems of all the fly types I have and actucally use, they are the same basic 3 or 4, and the others could be left home !

12. My fly tying bench and supply cabinets are in a constant state of disarray no matter how hard I try to stay organized, I can never find what I want to tie with easily !

13. I cannot stop making my weekly stop at the fly fishing shop and buying a little more hooks, tying materials, or other fly fishing accessories !

14. I have three sets of gravel guards and all of the three just about give a heart attack and back strain in the early morning light trying to get them zipped up over my new wading shoes!

15. I have been looking for a backup spool for Marryat MR-9 but the cheapest I can find one is $ 120 new. I bought a new Redington AL for $ 75. Now I need a backup spool for both the Redington and the Marryat !

16. There are 10 fly rods which are always not being used since I can only use one at a time. Same for the reels which I have about 7 of those now !

17. I am compulsed to visit the fly fishing forumn multiple times each day and posting !

18. No matter how much fly fishing or fly tying I do it is never enough and I want to do more !

19. The Boss has given my a new honey dew list so I won't be fly fishing for steelhead for another week !

20. If The Boss ever finds out how much I have invested in fly tying material, equipment, and books, I'm toast ! She is starting to ask probing questions.

21. My wife and 3 sons cannot I understand why I never bring any fish home, nor any pictures. Cross reference to points 2 and 3 above!!

22. None of my three lucky camoflauge thinsulate fishing hats are working. Now I have to consider purchasing new lucky fishing hats !!

Maybe this fly fishing sport is getting too complex and expensive and I should consider a simpler sport like pan fishing where you always catch fish, or perhaps bowling, or just being a couch potato ?

Put everything up for sale on ebay and do something simpler.

I will think about it, but then I will have to resign from the fly fishing forumn and lose touch with my cyber fishing colleagues since I will no longer be a "fly fisherman".

The problem is if I put it all up for sale on ebay, all of the tackle hounds on this forumn would know its me selling my stuff and would keep the price bidding down.

Seems like a "Catch 22" to me with "No Exit".

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 04-19-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hal,

You can always hang out as an ex-fisherman. BTW - could you let me know when your stuff goes up on eBay?
Old 04-18-2003, 11:31 PM
President of CAC

Don't worry...these feelings will pass.....
Old 04-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
PMFlyfisher-
Just how badly do you want to fish that 5120-4???

I can see what sort of strings I can pull and see if I can dig up a demo rod for ya from Sage or from one certain rep! I have powers...

If I manage to get a hold of a demo, Ill ship it to you, let you fish it for a week or two and then you send it back...

...and ofcourse, if you love the rod and decide to buy it, you will purchase it from one particular Forum sponsor.

How does that sound??
Old 04-19-2003, 07:25 AM

You Dummy!!!

Hal, Hal, Hal.....

Hell! I don't know what I am going to do with you! This is just part of the aging process. It is a sign of "growing older", and the frustrations involved. Realize one thing first: YOU CAN'T DO OR HAVE CONTROL OVER EVERYTHING!

I found myself in the same boat a few years back, only fishing and shooting are the sports involved. I have been SLOWLY working my way down to a few favored guns and rods. Yeah, it's a slow process. (Takes years)!

Sometimes I sell one (for MY price), at other times I may donate them to a worthy cause (usually involving teaching kids to fish or shoot), etc. Sometimes they may be a gift to a close friend or family member who appreciates them. The key here is not to be "anxious" and impatient - it takes time.

Then you find yourself doing fewer things, but VERY well. (Yeah, that just MIGHT even encompass LANDING STEELIES after you hook 'em!).

I don't have a fly tying desk any more. When time comes up to tie flies, I know which pattern(s) I want to tie up. I take over the kitchen table for the day, and bring out my two big boxes of materials, with smaller boxes inside organized by contents. Takes a couple of minutes to pull out the materials I need, set up the vise, maybe make a quick trip to the store to replenish an item or two, but it is VERY efficient. And only takes a couple of minutes to put everything away.

Picking rods (etc.) to keep is easy - the favorites! (Strangely, this has nothing to do with cost! - at least in my case).

But apparently you have reached that point in life where you now have to make choices. No more buying for the joy of possession of lots of toys; now you "acquire" for the joy of frequent use.

Don't worry - now you will HAVE to use all of the rods TO SEE WHICH ONES ARE YOUR FAVORITES! And the best part is that there is no time limit, and you don't have to be in a rush. You may be surprised to discover that you have some super neat toys that you have forgotten about, as I did.

Have fun!

BobK
Old 04-19-2003, 12:20 PM

When ever I start to feel like that, I just go down into the basement and tie a couple of flies. The feelings soon go away!:eyecrazy:
Old 04-19-2003, 04:36 PM
removed_by_request

Take up bowling, it eats up less server space.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Marine Scientist

Hal - I know (somewhat) where you're coming from... suffering a major case of FF burnout right now, with no appreciable end in sight. The fishing in Georgia generally stinks, unless you decide to do battle with other FFers on the local rivers for a few trout. Was going to go to NC for a few days to fish the SW, but looks like I'll have to cancel due to a tight schedule. The only saving grace is that I can head down to Myrtle Beach for a week and stay with my parents for free, while fishing every day from the beach... wait a moment... geez, it never occurred to me to get a guide there! Hmmm... we'll have to see. ANYWAY, I've been tying up flies like mad, been building rods, but can't put any of them to use at the moment. Bottom line is that I need to get out of Georgia asap. Then I might actually be able to fish on a regular basis.
If my wife knew how much $$$ was invested in fishing tackle, I'd be in "it" up to my ears! Fortunately, she doesn't ask...
Old 04-20-2003, 08:17 PM

I forgot something else, my new breatheable waders appear to have a very slow leak in one leg they are only 10 months old.

Oh well I guess I will have to gut out and NOT QUIT. Besides I hate bowling and pan fishing. I also could not stand to see my equipment sold on ebay for $$$ values far below their emotional worth to me. I could not bear to hear forumn members discussing how they got steals on PM's FF stuff !!

Remember I have never sold any of my fly fishing gear and probably never will. It has emotional and historical value to me.

Ryan, thanks for the offer maybe this summer when I take a week fly fishing for trout and can really work out the 5120 for a good on the water field test.

Although fly fishing is complex and can present many failures I thought about it and realized, I am living in the middle of North America and the Great Lakes region which may be the best central fishing location in the world. I can be to the U.S west, east, or southern coasts, or Canda via air in a few hours or with a 1-8 hour car drive to the great lake states and Ontario.

See the river and water statistics I looked up below:

Ontario
400,000 lakes and rivers

Minnesota
12,000 lakes
69,000 river miles

Wisconsin
16,000 lakes
10,000 miles of trout streams

Illinois
26,000 miles of rivers
700 square miles of inland lakes

Indiana
600 lakes
9000 miles of rivers

Michigan
11,000 lakes
36,000 miles of trout rivers
1,000 miles of blue ribbon rivers
220 miles of fly fishing only trout river miles

Canada
291,00 square miles of water
126,000 miles of coast line

U.S.
12,000 miles of coast line
187,000 square miles of water

There is still lots of water I have not fly fished yet, I cannot quit now !!

Some interesting stats above.

PM Out
Old 04-20-2003, 08:47 PM

HalMeister .... you need to get 'laid' very badly.

I'd recommend early retirement, but Bev. would have to kill you after about 30 days at home.

You need a ..... Oh, so many things come to mind. I think my Doctor could recommend some medication ... and it will come in a pill bottle ... not a 5'th.

:hehe:
Old 04-20-2003, 09:10 PM

Hal the solution to your streak is simple. go fishing for suckers rather than steelhead. Reverse the statistics.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:54 PM

John, perfect suggestion!

Nothing more I could add to that.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:44 AM
Recent Member

PM, next time you go looking at the fly-tying selection at the shop.. go armed with a small pre-made checklist & stick to it.

You wanna boost your fishing karma..give a nice outfit away to some poor stranger/friend who would be truly pleased by your generosity.

Panfish sharpen hooking skills & even finesse at times.

Throw a spinner on a spinning reel for a complete break from the fly-mentality for a day or two.

Accompany your wife to one of her favourite functions.

Say a heart-felt prayer for the less priviledged & war-torn.

God bless, Dan'l

P.S. Ya gotta work the "Medicine Wheel"
Old 04-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Fly chucker

Contrary to what you say, panfishing does not guarantee catching fish.

Now if you're through getting your ego boost from some of the other Forum members, why not get back to fishing?

Or you could send your gear my way.....but something tells me that won't happen.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Chief of E.P.

Quote:
I'm 0 for 21 on steelhead landings !
As someone who has worked through some bad hook to landing streaks from time to time, I had thought that 3 or 4 in a row was bad. 0 for 21??? 3000+ posts and you can't get a fish to the beach? Where is the justice?

Might I suggest putting away the size 20 micro-caddis and the 3 pound test. Or possibly the bowling suggestion above should be seriously considered. :hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.