Thoughts on ignorant boaters - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
CantAnchorUs

Thoughts on ignorant boaters

I usually don`t have a lot of complaints but now I`m pissed! I work nights so it`s hard to drag myself out real early during the week. Today was just right, all the ducks lined up. Bass were coming every other cast, but the tides were earlier than called for. AAll alone on the whole river and this ignorant SOB pulls up right in front of me and cuts me off so I can`t even cast, the whole ocean to fish in and he wants to park 50 ft. in front of me. I`m gonna start carrying a chest pocket full of stones just for people like him. And he never shut the motor off, because he could only get off one cast before he drifted into the bridge. Had 15 fish before he arrived, only one after he showed up, if this were Texas I would have put a bullet hole thru his CC.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 11:34 AM

that

That was you??? LOL just kidding. I know how ya feel. Happens all the time. I am convinced that a boat is a magnet. If you see one there is usually a few in close proximity. I guess the logic is " the other guy must know where the fish are". Same principle applies for shore bound anglers too. You hook a fish and next thing you know there are lures and sinkers wizzing past your head and crossing your line. Ahhhhhhhh the spring is here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2003, 11:37 AM

Steve, That's what they make those LARGE kastmasters for!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:02 PM
President of CAC

Those are some of the reasons I never bought a boat... at least yet... after I retire I will probably get one and never use it on weekends... only during the week.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 PM
CantAnchorUs

If I were in my boat I would have just moved, but I was wading a small flat with no place to move to. I might have expected this from people but this guy was fly fishing and obviously knew what he was doing. My only satisfaction was that he couldn`t get a hit.
Slinger
Old 04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Sorry to hear about the boat, slinger. Seems that if you're catching fish, there's obviously nowhere else they may be. .

So, you were catching fish? Stripers?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:32 PM

paintgun time
Old 04-27-2003, 09:33 AM

Last sept I was out with Striper(Mike Mayo) we were fishing for albies and they were busting in front of us. This yahoo and his buddie cut right in front of us and put down the fish. This was in the Montauck area. If you want to see a bunch of ignorant boaters this are sure attracts them especially when there are albies busting. What really got me is the guides with their sports also were cutting us off. FishHawk
Old 04-27-2003, 01:44 PM
CantAnchorUs

Same place, same scene today. Only this time I yelled at him. I said that this time I wasn`t going to let him cut me off. I fully intended to stand on the shore and stone him if he forced me out again. He informed me that " I`m just driftin" as if that made it allright. But after that he did give me plenty of room.
A thirty knot north wind blowing down the river against a comming tide made fishing really difficult but I did manage to pick up 5 before the tide forced me off the flat.
Slinger
Old 04-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Marine Scientist

Slinger...

... I feel your pain! Last year my boss bought a brand new WA, has never owned a boat in his life. I bought him a book on boating, tried to impress upon him the ideas of boater's etiquette, but he totally ignored me (and pissed off a lot of people, including myself) and cut off several people. His reasoning is that his boat was bigger, and the ocean was a huge place, so he had every right to move in to water that others were anchored in. I just rolled my eyes and hoped that no one recognized me at the bars! No regard for boating regulations whatsoever!
Earlier this year, he bought a smaller flats boat (sold the WA as it was too large for him to handle), and he started plowing through flats water at 20 nm where guides were staked out with their clients for bones. Same rationalization. My wife and I are waiting for someone to put a bullet through his hull. If that were me in the other boat, I'd tell him what I thought about his boating "skills". Nothing worse than someone like that out on the water... and it's worse when you're in the boat with them! We're waiting for the Florida Marine Police or the Coast Guard to nail him. The smile on my face will be a wide one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.