Rod recommendation wanted-surf/wind - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 07:43 AM

Rod recommendation wanted-surf/wind

I'm looking for an 8wt, I think. The key is that I'm looking for something in the under $300 world. Fish 6-10#, but casting is flats and some light surf. When it's calm, I can usually fish a 7, but that rod's action is pretty moderate. I'm looking for something faster. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 08:41 AM

Hi Carl,
Welcome.

To answer your question - I'd reccomend a 9# or maybe possibly a 10#...

Sure you're targeting smaller fish in calm conditions but if you're like me, you'll be going after some of the bigger fish in the larger surf/windier conditions...

As for manufacturers under $300 - I have an LLBean that cost me $200, Temple Fork Outfitters have nice stuff too under $200, St. Croix Avid series looks to be a good value in that range too

Good luck,
TMS
Old 04-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Fly chucker

I agree with Sproket.....better to have a bit too much rod on some rare occasions than to be undergunned on other occasions.

FWIW, I don't fish the salt with anything less than an 8 weight, and even then that's when I'm chasing shad, snappers, or schoolies. For larger fish, I break out the 9 or 10 weight.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:22 PM

people work sooo hard trying to cast light gear. If it's too windy for a seven, and eight won't provide that much relief.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:00 PM

The "jury" is right...

Go up to at LEAST a 9, preferably a 10. Don't go "undergunned". You have to go up at least 2 sizes to make an appreciable difference - and don't be afraid to use a longer rod, too!

BobK
Old 04-25-2003, 06:12 PM

I would also recommend a #10 and to be specific a Sage DS2 - I love mine. I don't have a lot of rods - a 4, two 7's, two 10's, and a 14/15 and I think I would be happy with one of those in any situation I might face.

Gregg
Old 04-26-2003, 12:30 AM

Check out the TFO rods.The 4pc 9wt or 10wt Saltwater casts as nice as most rods costing 3 times it's $165US price tag.It is also incredibly lightweight for a heavier line weight.If you don't care for the plain cosmetics of the Saltwater,then have a look at the Canadian Ti models.Same blank but VERY nice components and a nice rod case.It's one of the best casting and best looking saltwater rods I've ever tried.The Ti is only available out of Canada though,so they need to be ordered from a Canadian shop or from TFO's Canadian distributor Springbrook(www.springbrook.ca).The rods,warranty,and customer service are fantastic.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:00 PM
LT 20

Sage all the way!

I would go with a sage #10 rplxi, I love mine. I also have a #9 rplxi. I use my 10 the most.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:06 AM

Thanks...

I fished an older 9wt St Croix Legend yesterday, and it worked great. Jumping 2 line weights was enough to make a difference. Thanks for the suggestions!
Carl
Old 05-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Recent Member

If I am wading in waist high water, I use a Scott SES 1008/3 - 10ft 8 wt can handle most everything within a "BULL RED's" water. That extra foot of rod length makes ALL the difference when wading. Now iffin you are thinking you might get within sight of a "JACK" or something similar go to a 2 wt!!!! Of course, that's just to see how long thae rod holds together and you reel spools out. It'll also see what your backin has for strength!!!!

But iffin it's a tad windy, go a little heavier wt rod,,,, to "PUNCH" the wind. Now some say go 2 sizes up on the rods,,,,,, well that's fine ,,,,,,,,but I try to adapt more "WIND CUTTIN" with different style lines. Go to a WF Bass Taper or even go to some of the WF SLIME lines with HEAVY heads,,,,,JUST BE SURE AND NOT OVER "LOAD" the rod you're using,,,,I've also found the Teeny WF WF and SINK TIPS are great for this!!! One thing,,,,,,make sure you can cast pretty good,,,,,,,or you're gonna get "SLAPPED" and/or "STUCK"!!!!

DAN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.