BT's Reel... WF5F+120 yds. 20-lb. for $59 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Marine Scientist

BT's Reel... WF5F+120 yds. 20-lb. for $59

Looking into an inexpensive trout reel, came across this large arbor reel marketed by BT's, the Dan Reel 46. Made of Delrin and who-knows-what-else, haven't spoken with BT's about this yet, but want to find out more. I know Delrin is pretty tough stuff, and I don't imagine that the 12" browns and 'bows I'll be after will be able to torque the spool. I'm going to ask them about drag, and so on. Has anyone seen or had any experience with these reels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

No experience with them, sorry. I tend to stay away from anything that is not machined from bar stock. I know that isn't helpful to those looking for a bargain reel but in the long run it's been most economical for me to use that as a minimum requirement.

I used to like my old SA II until I dropped it and it cracked. That was the last non-machined reel I ever bought.

Delrin on the other hand is not prone to cracking I'm sure. I know it's used as a drag surface... definitely corrosion proof.

who knows, I'm sure there's a next generation out there somewhere...
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 AM

They come in a couple of sizes. One big enough for an eight weight. I liked that they come in colors too, like blue, yellow and red. Unashamed plastic. If I remember, the drag was either a plastic clicker, or maybe some plastic washers where the spool screws on.
I loved how basic the reel was and it looked tougher and more reliable than any metal reel for the same price. A big fish(like an abi) caught on that reel would be a story to tell.
As for delrin, I am under the impression that delrin absorbs water and swells when wet. That's why drag discs should not be made of delrin. For fifty bucks, how can you lose?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 AM

Never heard of BT.

But for $50 you can get one of the discontinued Orvis Battenkill disk reels if you look around. NOT bar-stock, but have had one on my 4wt for years and it still works despite taking a beating. More drag than you'll ever need on a trout reel and fairly low maintenance.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Bid Dave is right

My Lady got her a discontinued for her 5wgt for $20 at the show...

good luck,
T
Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Marine Scientist

Spoke with the guy at BT's just now (his name is Al, I believe). The reel is composed of delrin and a few self-lubricating brass pieces. No drag, simple click-pawl to avoid overruns and palming for pressure on the fish. Says it has been fished in fresh and saltwater, no problems with sand or salt, and has landed fish to 25-lbs. Supposedly they fished the reel in Denmark in saltwater, zipped it up in a zip-lok bag for 6 weeks, came back and found no corrosion whatsoever (duh.). So, the question then becomes, for smallish trout, how often do you actually use the drag when fishing in rivers? If the answer is, "not very often, unless I hook a larger-than-average fish", I might consider one of these reels more seriously. Orvis... not a big fan, would rather not own one of their reels.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM

For trout fishing on small rivers, the reel generally just holds the line. I just strip in the line unless it's a big fish.

If you fish big freestone rivers you will want some kind of drag. A high quality click and pawl will do it but a disk would be better.

I use the the disk because of the hanful of times I have been lucky enough to hook a lunker trout on a 7x tippet it has saved the day.

I'm not a big orvis fan either but it would be better than plastic IMHO.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:50 PM

These reels also go by the name Danica. I think they would be tougher than any cast aluminum reel. Maybe tougher than a machined reel too since dents are the #1 form of damage. The drag was a rubber clicker on the one I saw, and I think it had a brass bushing. Ugly or Cool...I dunno. As for Big O, they make some good stuff. The sport would be worse off without them.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Marine Scientist

Eddie, you're absolutely correct, they do have some good stuff, and have contributed considerably to the growing popularity and romance of fly fishing... it's just that they're... so... cliche. I dunno, maybe it's just an image thing... I prefer my Bauers, Lamsons, and St.Croix tackle. I was trying to avoid dropping a wad on a new reel for trout, but the more I think about it, the more I'm considering picking up a JM2; found them on line for around $150. We'll see... BTW, no disrespect meant to Orvis fans, just not my bag...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.