"Stripers forever" web site - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 08:05 PM
President of CAC

"Stripers forever" web site

Brendan O'Brien e-mailed me and put me onto a new non-profit orgainiztion dedicated to making the striper a gamefish... I just joined and thought I would let others know.. see..www.stripersforever.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 08:29 AM

Thanks John,

I signed up too. Good cause and I agreed with everything there...
Old 04-24-2003, 08:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For personal interests, I believe the striper should be a gamefish and not a food fish.

With 3 million striper anglers on the east coast, they state:

"The economic argument for the elimination of commercial striper fishing and the subsequent expansion of recreational angling is ironclad. In 1993 a study by Southwick and Associates revealed that the economic value of the recreational fishery at that time was more than 500% that of the commercial fishery, and recreational participation since 1993 has grown enormously."

What does game fish status really mean?

Does it mean no one will be able to commercially fish for them?

Is that determined by state jurisdiction or federal?

In my gut I love the idea. I would love to understand exactly what the ramifications are before I respond to my strong emotional reaction to the intiative...

Has anyone already thought this thing through and can offer me some enlightenment in this respect?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:02 AM

Juro,

I briefly read through it this morning and although the mission statement is a bit strongly worded, the message is one I agree with.

No commercial fishing for striped bass in the Northeast.

They go into the economic benefits of the recreational fishery vs. commercial fishery, benefits to aquaculture, etc. Some of the numbers seem a bit funky but the message is solid.

From what I can tell this is a state-level initiative encouraging members to contact local gov't.

It will be interesting to see how they interact with CCA and other groups.

Just wish they would do away with the glory photos of a dead fish on someone's lawn for the homepage! Would like to see more of a C&R mindset.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:45 AM

I find it amazing that, under "frequently Asked Questions" on their site, the top one is not" What is the definition of Gamefish Status" and I strongly suggest that most of the members don't know either. I have been one to join many different movements, however, in my old age, I'm starting to look before I leap. I feel my time is much too valuble to myself, my family and to my fishing to jump into cold water. (besides, I can't afford the Shrinkage factor)
I like the single mindedness approach of SF and think it is much more effective, one of my concerns with groups such as CCA and RFA is that having too much on the plate leaves you wondering what to eat first! Game fish Status appears to be a "cut the commercials out all together and let the recs have it all". I believe the commercial fishery should continue as should the charter bussiness. I think the management practices must be more conservative with regard to the future and that managing for Maximum sustainable yeild is a mistake. This can only be changed at the ASMFC level, it is not an individual state issue. As I have said before, we are living on the edge when it come to the management of the striper fishery and until major changes take place you will not see any of these groups making any headway.
Just my .02
Old 04-24-2003, 01:15 PM
President of CAC

Yes..I think these are all valid and important points... I also wonder how this will interact with the CCA's etc....but I signed on for that very reason...To find out More..... not because I understand... but because I don't necessarily understand all they are intending to do... what better way to figure it out than by joining.. that was my thinking..
Old 04-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Pencil me in.....

What if they succeed?

I am interested in what size / creel limits Stripers Forever recommends for the recreational anglers after Gamefish status is achieved. Any ideas ?
Old 04-24-2003, 02:05 PM

It's pretty clear on the site that the chartering business is not being considered "commercial fishing" because they are selling fishing, not fish. I agree with that and not just because I am involved in a seasonal guiding activity - kill quotas don't affect what I do. I'd wager that total C&R would be fine for my clientele.

On the commercial side, netting has historically been an indisriminate killing method targeting breeding fish in Chesapeake and Hudson waters. I have not seen gillnets in MA since the North River in the experimental coho salmon days (late seventies, early 80's). Forgive my ignorance but can I assume from this that netting is regulated state by state?

If there is still netting going on in the Chesapeake Bay / Hudson River area (anywhere for that matter) then I would oppose that practice. Whatever we do the impact on year classes should be managed uniformly and unilaterally across regions and interests.

Wonder what percentage of the 3 million striper anglers are commercial fishermen... if it's only a few percent of the population benefiting from half the fish, then it doesn't make sense to protect this meaningless industry. Furthermore, how many are netting? If this is a fraction of a percent, then we sure can't justify allowing major fish kills to protect this special interest group.

Maybe what we should be doing is focusing on what commercial fishing is doing to help our economy and the state of the fishery - I can't seem to figure out how it helps out in the overall picture. That being the case, I can't seem to figure out why we should keep it. Maybe SF is right...
Old 04-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Quote:
Originally posted by bcasey
I find it amazing that, under "frequently Asked Questions" on their site, the top one is not" What is the definition of Gamefish Status"
Case,

Very, very good point...
Old 04-24-2003, 05:58 PM

I should clarify, by commercial fishing I am talking about hook and line, any method that creates the kind of by catch that gill netting, trawling, dragging or longlining does should be BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER! :hehe:
I wonder how many of those guys are gonna see this post?
As for the charter boats, we all think of the charter business as Capt. Todd in the 18' Redfisher with 1 or 2 anglers, this I am all for, but when you go out to the rips off Marthas Vineyard or the shoals at Billingsgate and see the boats with the full 6 pack going and they keep 2 fish for each sport(the potential limit this coming season) and 2 each for the mate and captain for a 4 hour trip and then go out and do it again (same take) in the afternoon, then they should all go down with the ship!
Juro, given the numbers I keep hearing, the hook and line guys take a very small portion compared to the recs. I'll dig up the numbers and get back to you!
Old 04-24-2003, 06:05 PM

Striblue, I'm starting this new club, it's pretty cool. We wear white robes and hoods and play with matches alot. I can't tell you what we do but, if you sign up now we will do the secret handshake and new members ceremony. THEN I'll tell you what it's all about! Deal?
Sorry John, I just could not resist, I meant this in FUN!
Old 04-24-2003, 06:33 PM
President of CAC

That's Ok Case..I deserved it... but I would not just join the Klan... since I do know what they are about... but the Striper forever board... would send you up dates, according to them, once your in and they have your e-mail...Also..the board did not have much to say..as far as I could tell checking though it.... now.. Having said that .... I have a club that your ARE a member.. and You have to wear a Fez. We have no newsletters.. the best BS is all you need .
Old 04-24-2003, 07:21 PM

I got that John, and I look real good in a Fez!
Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 PM

Just thought of something...

Let's say the number of striper netters is a single digit percentage of the overall striper angling community of 3 million, 3% perhaps.

If we instituted a $5 per year license and managed these funds to go directly to a federally run program to wean net fishermen from their current lifestyles over a 3 year period of elimination at which time we could vote to advance the program to hook and line commercial elimination through subsidized paychecks (to not fish), or else revert to no license status upon elimination of the commercial programs.

Buy them out in other words, no harm no foul.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:23 AM
Middle Aged Member

Now let me get this straight. Commecial fishing for striped bass is only allowed by hook and line. Right? So when we are talking about netting, trawling, etc. by-catch we are talking about other segments of the commercial fishing industry. Secondly, data I recall seeing suggest that Rec take is about an order of magnitude higher than the legitimate comms. While I look at any data like this with a great deal of skepticim (figures lie and liars figure as they say) I'd say the benifit of gamefish status by itself doesn't have much impact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.