Old 04-22-2003, 09:07 PM

Interesting read on leader materials.

flyfisherman.com/skills/gstippetsiffness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 01:37 AM

Fred-thank you

A very interesting article. I was surprised to elarn the Maxima Chameleon is not the stiffest Maxima.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Ahhhhhh...all you need is Maxima UG or Seaguar GrandMax for when the fish get picky!!
Old 04-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's an excellent reference Fred, thanks.

They got a little too far into the minutia for my way of thinking, but it was interesting just the same. Signs of a long winter

This got me thinking... unless we're talking trout fishing tippet, how much value do people put in differences between stiffness of leader material? If a leader is very supple or very stiff, I tend to stay away from it. That being said I have not seen any leader material that I felt was too stiff or supple for me for steelheading, salmon or stripers in saltwater since the old Rio saltwater leader material in the early 90's and that was excellent butt / taper material, just not good tippet and that was mostly due to it's chalky sheen and the feeling of hardness in the fingers when tying knots.

I choose Maxima Ultragreen for a number of reasons but I don't feel it's more supple or stiffer than 99% of other lines, especially after you cast it a while.

I choose it because:

1) I like the color
2) I like the pound test / diam increments for building leaders
3) It's really strong

That's about it. I don't think about whether it's stiff or supple unless I am fishing fine for trout tippets.

I'll bet could grab a spool of every brand of 10, 12 or 15# test including the bulk stren and trilene off the bass angling shelf, the Ande and the store brand and if blindfolded people could not tell the difference between them, never mind on the end of a double haul or reaching Spey cast.

I could see though that trout anglers would be very concerned about their tippet characteristics - but even then the butt and taper seem to me inconsequential... and tippets for game species of size seem to be measured by a whole different criteria, unless I am mistaken.

Opinions?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Flats Rat

I have no idea of the physics involved in the process but my guess is that stiffness would be a factor in the ability of the leader to efficiently transmit the energy involved in turning the fly over and hence, getting a good presentation. Also, the steeper the taper, the faster the turnover - the old bull-whip analogy.

My guess would be that energy would be lost in stiffer material faster due to its resistance to bending - hence less efficient at turning over the fly - but - these things are often counterintuitive. I tend to think of the energy passing through the line a bit like water flowing through a pipe - as the pipe narrows the flow speed up.

Any physics/applied math grads out there?

I would agree that in the larger / big game sizes these differences become less noticeable - a bit like discussing the relative casting actions of two different 14 wt rods

Last edited by Adrian; 04-24-2003 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.