hardy st. george - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 09:22 PM
LBFF Mojo

hardy st. george

Well I was going through some of my moms stuff over easter and found an old reel of my geat grandpas. It is a St. George 3 3/4 RHW and I plan on using it. I think it will be really cool to catch a steelie on a reel my great grandpa may have done the same with many years ago. I can fit a 10/11 long delta on the reel so I think it will be able to hold ample backing if I use a shooting head system with it. Or I could be like leland and go sans backing.

It is a little scratched up but the inner workings are all there and in great condition. The agate guide is also fine. So just out of curiousity I am trying to figure out how old it could be. I am thinking 50s or 60s but am not sure. Anyone know how I can find out or what to look for?

thanks,

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 10:05 PM

HARDY ST. GEORGE

hello, Sean,

Perhaps you know that this reel, named after the Patron Saint of England, was produced between 1911 and 1983. If yours has a round brass nut used to secure the drum to the spindle (1911-1912) you are a very lucky man indeed!

Chances are that's not the case.

The only way to date the reel with any degree of certainty is to have details regarding the type of check (drag) it has, the foot (smooth or ribbed) and any other details you can provide regarding finish, handle, etc. There are two of these reels currently on eBay. One is old, the other somewhat new, so you can get a good idea of the age of your reel from having a look. URL's as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23818

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23818

Good luck and keep those old reels wet and engaged!

Marketic
Old 04-22-2003, 01:39 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Sean,

I am assuming you fit that 10/11 Long Delta and NO backing on the reel. If you use some gelspun backing you will probably be fine with some lighter/shorter lines. With a Loop Adapted type shooting head you'll have lots of room.

I have one of these reels that I used to use for single-handed fishing and still use for large trout, it is very nice. I think got mine in the mid 70's.

Still Living Large!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:08 AM

What is the width?

Is the St. George 3 3/4" a wide spool I have not scene one and I am curious.
Sean, theres nothing like the sound of a Hardy Reel singing its heart out over the roar of the river and the rumbling of the trains.
Hope you get many years of enjoyment fishing with yours.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:50 PM
LBFF Mojo

I would not call it a wide spool but from some research I did last night it looks like a few were made. Actually one side of the spool is convex which seems to steal a little capacity from the reel.

Kush,

Yep not an ounce of backing. Will most likely have to use gel spun. What do you think of the adapated lines? They seem spendy...

Marketic,

Maybe the reel is not quite as old as I thought. It has two clicking mechanisms and a ribbed brass foot. The spool actually looks like it may be newer than the reel. Will put some pictures up of it tonight. The drum latch is a 2 screw one on the spool which seems to point to the spool at least being of newer vintage.

I really looking forward to using the reel this summer.

-sean
Old 04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Sean,

What rod are you planning on using it with? If it is a light rod say a 7 weight, then you could use a Delta or Long Delta or WC with room for enough backing to get by. I don't think this is a reel for a 9/10 rod.

Still Living Large!
Old 04-22-2003, 04:09 PM
LBFF Mojo

The 13' 8/9 CND custom or the 7/8 when I get the cash together to buy one.

It would be a tight squeeze but I may be able to fit a 8/9 WC with a little backing but ideally it would go better with a 7/8 rod. Will try it and see. If not I will have to start saving my pennies for the 7/8 CND.

-sean
Old 04-22-2003, 04:15 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Sean,

I don't have the specs on the tip of my tongue, but I'm pretty certain you could lop off a chunk of the back taper of the WC - it might do the trick.

Go out there and fire off your best casts with that rod and line and check out how much of the rear taper will only ever get off the reel when pulled by a fish. Then fill that "extra" space with gelspun instead.

Still Living Large!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Any Pulls?

Heres a cool link for old Hardy info. http://members.aol.com/adamsangl/

Jim Adams is an expert on these old reels. If you describe it to him he could date and appraise it for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.