Housatonic 4/21 - Cornwall Bridge - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Flats Rat

Housatonic 4/21 - Cornwall Bridge

Hendricksons! With water temperature in the mid 50s, nymph activity has been pretty hot over the past week and a few duns are starting to appear. I arrived around mid day (after getting cold and skunked down at Devon PP ). It was a lot warmer up stream - especialy wading. River levels are high but clarity is great and as the water levels drop each day the fishing can only improve.

I didn't hook up - tried at my favorite low water spots but this is a different place when levels are high. Guys who realy know the river are getting 4 to 5 fish a day and they're all hold-overs. No fish are stocked here before mid May. I tried further upstream and found a few fish rising and a couple of them were large. I couldn't see if they were after the Hendrickson duns or black stoneflies which were also active on the water. I couldn't buy a strike but it was great to throw a dry fly under clear blue skies. Provided we don't get too much rain tommorow, things should be in great shape for this coming week end.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 AM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
cornwall is the area that i have fished the housie can't wait to fish it this summer

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2003, 05:21 AM

Fished Eastern Conn. had four hookups and had to work hard for the fish. Water temps on opening day were very low. Got surveyed by the state and they reported that most people were not doing well. I thˆnd the state has held back on the stocking. The Hoosey should get better soon. FishHawk
Old 04-23-2003, 08:24 AM

Nice report.

We had blue quills up here in MA over the weekend. Had a nice brown rise to one of them, which reminded me how much I love the game (even though I missed the fish). Nothing like seeing that big snout come out of the water...what a rush.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:42 AM
extmtbiker

I fished there once, when I went to visit my aunt in connecticut. I caught a smallmouth bass. I didnt hook into any trout, which I was trying for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.