Fly Fishing Forum banner

Carp sighting!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  fishheadfred 
#1 ·
I took a ride to a few fishing spots today after work. One area has a small shallow pond that's connected to a lake. This little pond warms up quickly and is one of the first places where I find fish and turtles in the spring. While I was there I spotted a couple of small carp cruising around. I couldn't persuade them to bite, but it certainly was a good sign. Spring is here at last! :D

Q

#7 ·
You can do an archive search on this subject here in the Warmwater Board, since this subject has been kicked around a bit.

Carp will take a fly, but usually only when they're actively feeding. Cruisers seem to just keep on cruising. Nymphs and wooly buggers are the usual patterns, although there are some specialty flies that imitate berrries, bread, and cottonseeds.

#10 ·
Carp - the 'other' heavyweight fighter

IMHO, from past experience, and YMMV -

Carp are both opportunistic and fussy. They will feed on bottom dwelling species like crayfish (bonefish style ties, clouser style ties in appropriate colors), nymphs (yeah, nymphs, like stonefly), hellgrammites, leeches (woolybuggers), worms and the like, as well as hammer a pod of swimming chubs or minnows at their discretion. Carp will eat throughout the water they inhabit, not just lie on bottom waiting for a morsel to bump by. And, if you go after them, don't bring your namby-pamby willowwisp stick, or they'll make you cry wishing you hadn't.

#11 ·
we carp alot with a cornflake peanut butter doughball that drives them crazy...only carp i have hooked on the fly were with smaller nymphs or batifish imitations while bluegillin'....love the fight these monster put up!!!! may have to make a couple of carpin' days my prioority if the water here ever gets right...more rain again....imagine that..love that ky weather!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.